With funding provided by the Hixson-Lied Endowment, Hixson-Lied College of Fine and Performing Arts undergraduates are eligible to participate in paid internships with Lincoln Arts Organizations. A priority for the College is that of maintaining a focus on activities and programs that create and sustain outreach connections between College arts units and communities outside the university. This initiative extends this goal by placing students with organizations where they can gain valuable experience working with community members and arts professionals who strive to build and maintain a vibrant cultural environment in the Lincoln community and throughout the state.
In addition to real-life work experience, interns will have the opportunity to attend workshops ranging from writing cover letters to conversations with local arts organizations. Throughout the program interns maintain active goals that are tracked through a two-part evaluation process to consistently maintain the educational focus of the program.
- Create and support paid internships for Hixson-Lied College of Fine and Performing Arts students to work with community arts organizations that present or support the creation, presentation, and exhibition of the visual and performing arts.
- Provide a variety of opportunities for students to engage actively with members of the community, based on the premise that such engagements present students with situations that are most likely to mirror the types of realistic interactions that student are apt to have once they leave the University.
- Place students in active work settings where they can gain valuable experience working with community members and arts professionals who strive to build and maintain a vibrant cultural environment in the Lincoln community and throughout the state.
- Enable UNL students to gain insight into opportunities for meaningful community engagement in support of the arts that would be open to them upon completion of their degree programs.
- Strengthen the relationship between the College and arts presenting and supporting organizations in the Lincoln community.
- Reinforce the importance of service to the community through the arts as part of every artist's and teaching artist's responsibility.