Big Red Express AuditionsThe Big Red Express is a group of 120 musicians that perform at the Men’s and Women’s Basketball games and the Women’s Volleyball matches. The band also performs for selected special University events. Members of the Big Red Express band must meet and maintain full-time enrollment status at UNL and maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA. Members in good standing receive a scholarship for each semester of participation. Students who are candidates for the Cornhusker Marching Band have the option of counting their first round marching band audition as their Big Red Express audition.
If you still have questions after reading this information thoroughly, please email the Band Office or call 402/472-2505.
Candidates must perform There Is No Place Like Nebraska from memory. Download the music by clicking on the appropriate instrument name below. Brass and woodwind players must also play two major scales displaying range and technique. Rhythm and keyboard players must play a solo of their own choosing.
Percussion (drum kit only), guitar and keyboard players should prepare a two to four minute solo (your choice of music).
You may play the recording of the fight song to help you prepare for the audition. Please note that this recording is the property of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and may not be used for any other purpose without the express written permission of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
Audition Dates for the 2015 Fall Semester
Saturday, April 25
Saturday, May 16Request An Audition Appointment
Students that live a great distance from Lincoln or whose schedule conflicts with the established audition dates may submit a recorded audition. Recorded auditions must include a solo or etude of two to four minutes in length and a major scale played to the range of the instrument. Students submitting a recorded audition do not need to include sight reading. Submit the recording prior to June 1, 2015. We prefer mp3 recordings but we will accept CD recordings sent through the U.S. Mail.
Instructions for MP3 Recordings
- We prefer mp3 recordings.
- Double check the recording before sending it to us. Make sure that the file opens and plays.
- Remember that we must be able to differentiate your recording from all other applicants' recordings. Name the file with your instrument, underscore, your last name, underscore, followed by your first name, period, mp3. Example: trumpet_Sample_John.mp3
- Go to the University's drop box site and follow the instructions to send us the recording prior to June 1, 2015.
- Remember to copy the drop box message then open your e-mail account. Enter email@example.com in the "send to" field; type "Big Red Express Audition" in the subject line and paste the drop box message into the body of your e-mail. Pasting the drop box message into the body of your e-mail message is very important. We won't be able to download your recording if you fail to include that message in your e-mail. All of this is quite easy to do and should take a few seconds to accomplish. Be sure to include your full name, instrument, and high school (with city and state) in the body of the e-mail so that we can follow up with you.
- Remember that all applicants must also submit an on-line registration form. There is no need to submit this form a second time if you have already completed it once this spring.
- The Band Office will acknowledge receipt of your recording via e-mail. However, please give us at least a day to process everything.