The Cornhusker Marching Band's Trumpet Day
Friday-Saturday, September 15-16, 2017
Application period: July 1, 2017 to September 6, 2017 (deadline has been extended)
The University of Nebraska–Lincoln Cornhusker Marching Band and the Glenn Korff School of Music are proud to host Trumpet Day 2017 on Friday, September 15 and Saturday, September 16! High school sophomore through senior trumpet players in the 2017-18 academic year are invited to join the Cornhusker Marching Band in its halftime performance for the Nebraska vs. Northern Illinois football game. Activities planned for Friday and Saturday include a masterclass, rehearsal with the Cornhusker Marching Band and admission to the game for the participant and one parent or guardian. Participation is limited to 50 students. Save the dates and return to this site for updates.
Trumpet Day participants wanting to purchase an additional game ticket should contact the Athletic Ticket Office at 800-8 BIG RED or order through the Athletic Ticket Office web site. Additional game tickets are $60.00 each. Tell the ticket office that the ticket request is for Trumpet Day so that the tickets will be in the reserved block. Please do not call the ticket office until after the September 6th deadline.
Call the Band Office at 402/472-2505 if you have questions about the event.
- Obtain a letter of recommendation from your band director or private teacher in either Microsoft Word or PDF formats.
- Make an audio recording of a solo of two to four minutes in length. Choose music that showcases your abilities, but do not try something beyond your skill level.
- Also include two octaves of the B-flat major scale in your recording.
- Complete the application form before September 6, 2017. The blue button below is a link to the registration site. Note that there is a $5.00 registration fee. Load your letter of recommendation and your audio recording into the registration form. There are instructions on the registration site.
Participants in Trumpet Day must arrange for their own lodging at their own expense. The Lincoln Convention and Visitors Bureau has a good list of area hotels and motels. Check out their web site if you need overnight lodging.
Participants in Trumpet Day must arrange for their own parking at their own expense. Please take care of this quickly as parking on game days near downtown is limited. Click on the link below for parking information from the City of Lincoln.
Proposed Trumpet Day Schedule
Friday, September 15
- 1:00 PM Check-in at the Glenn Korff School of Music's Westbrook Music Building.
- 1:30 PM to 3:00 PM Masterclass.
- 3:00 PM Campus tour with Admissions staff for participants and parents or guardians.
- 4:00 PM Dinner for participants and parents or guardians at Selleck Hall courtesy of Admissions.
- 6:30 PM to 7:30 PM Music run-through at either Westbrook Music Building or Kimball Recital Hall. Remainder of evening free. Note that lodging is the responsibility of the participants.
Saturday, September 16
- 6:00 AM Participants and parents check-in at Kimball Recital Hall.
- 6:30 AM Participants and parents will be escorted to Memorial Stadium.
- 7:00 AM Marching rehearsal with the Cornhusker Marching Band in Memorial Stadium.
- 8:00 AM Meal break on your own. There are many fast food and full service restaurants in the Haymarket, and on P and Q Streets.
- 9:15 AM Change into your high school band uniform in designated dressing areas in Kimball Recital Hall.
- 10:00 AM Warm-up on the north side of Kimball Recital Hall with the Cornhusker Marching Band.
- 10:15 AM March to Memorial Stadium with the Cornhusker Marching Band.
- 11:00 AM Kick-off of the Nebraska vs. Northern Illinois football game.
- 3:00 PM March back to Westbrook Music Building / Kimball Recital Hall with the Cornhusker Marching Band following the end of the football game. Change into street clothes in designated dressing rooms in Kimball Recital Hall. All participants and parents are free to leave after all personal belongings have been collected.
We will do our best to accommodate Friday conflicts for participants.