The Cornhusker Marching Band's Trumpet Day
Friday-Saturday, September 15-16, 2017
The University of Nebraska–Lincoln Cornhusker Marching Band and the Glenn Korff School of Music are proud to host Trumpet Day 2017 on Friday-Saturday, September 15-16, 2017! This page is for the high school sophomore through senior trumpet players that have been invited to join the Cornhusker Marching Band in its halftime performance for the Nebraska vs Northern Illinois Football Game. The halftime performance will feature Gonna Fly Now, Legend of the On-Eyed Sailor, and Get It On. Trumpet Day participants will join the Cornhusker Marching Band on the field for the finale Get It On.
Call the Band Office at 402/472-2505 if you have questions about the event. Trumpet Day participants wanting to purchase additional game tickets should contact the Athletic Ticket Office at 800-8 BIG RED or order through the Athletic Ticket Office web site.
Trumpet Day Schedule Conflicts
We will do our best to accommodate Friday conflicts for participants. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, September 13 with detailed information regarding your schedule conflict. Please remember to include the full name of the Trumpet Day participant in your email.
The Lincoln Convention and Visitors Bureau has a good list of area hotels and motels. Check out their web site if you need overnight lodging.
Participants in Trumpet Day must arrange for their own parking at their own expense. Please take care of this quickly as parking on game days near downtown is limited. Click on the link below for parking information from the City of Lincoln.
Westbrook Music Building
Some Trumpet Day activities on Friday, September 15th will take place in Westbrook Music Building. It is located just north of 10th and Q Street. It is building number 1 on the city campus map that you can download by clicking the link below.
Kimball Recital Hall
Kimball Recital Hall (KRH) will be the home base for all participants and their adult guests throughout game day. It is located just north of 11th and Q Street. It is building number 2 on the city campus map that you can download by clicking the link below. The performers' entrance is on the west side of the building under the walkway that connects Kimball Recital Hall to Westbrook Music Building. Download a diagram of the entrance by clicking on the link below.
Game Day Storage
Instruments and uniforms may be dropped off at Kimball Recital Hall beginning at 6:00 AM on Saturday, September 16. We suggest that these items be dropped off before parking your car. Instruments and uniforms may be kept in Kimball Hall throughout the day. Dressing rooms and restrooms are available in the building for participants and guests.
Trumpet Day participants should wear their high school marching band uniform for the Saturday performance. A band polo shirt with long pants is acceptable if that is your normal performance dress. Contact us at 402/472-2505 if you have questions.
Trumpet Day Schedule
Friday, September 15
- 1:00 PM Check-in at the Glenn Korff School of Music's Westbrook Music Building (WMB) in room 107.
- 1:30 PM to 3:00 PM Masterclass in room 114 WMB.
- 3:00 PM Campus tour with Admissions staff for participants and parents or guardians.
- 4:00 PM Dinner for participants and parents or guardians at Selleck Hall courtesy of Admissions.
- 6:30 PM to 7:30 PM Music run-through in room 119 WMB. Remainder of evening free. Note that lodging is the responsibility of the participants.
Saturday, September 16
- 6:00 AM Participants and parents check-in at Kimball Recital Hall.
- 6:30 AM Participants and parents will be escorted to Memorial Stadium.
- 7:00 AM Marching rehearsal with the Cornhusker Marching Band in Memorial Stadium.
- 8:00 AM Meal break on your own. There are many fast food and full service restaurants in the Haymarket, and on P and Q Streets.
- 9:15 AM Change into your high school band uniform in designated dressing areas in Kimball Recital Hall.
- 10:00 AM Warm-up on the north side of Kimball Recital Hall with the Cornhusker Marching Band.
- 10:15 AM Depart for Memorial Stadium
- 11:00 AM Kick-off of the Nebraska vs. Northern Illinois football game.
- 3:00 PM Return to Kimball Recital Hall following the end of the football game. Change into street clothes in designated dressing rooms in Kimball Recital Hall. All participants and parents are free to leave after all personal belongings have been collected.