Internships and co-ops provide hands-on experience and skills in your career field. Positions may be full-time, part-time, paid or unpaid and many UNL departments allow you to earn academic credit in conjunction with an internship.

Where should I start?

  • Visit Career Services to discuss your career goals and what type of internship can best contribute to them.
  • Draft a resume and have it reviewed by Career Services.
  • Subcribe to Husker Hire Link where internships are posted on a regular basis.

Husker Hire Link

Log-in or create an account now!

Student/Alumni Log-in

NUID (8-digit):

MyRed Password:

Trouble logging in?

When Should I Apply

The best time to begin applying is during your sophomore year. For local internships (in Lincoln or other Nebraska communities), you may apply right up to the beginning of the semester or summer you wish to work. National and international internships often have early deadlines (as much as 12 months in advance) of each semester or summer.

Will I Be Paid?

Internships may be paid or unpaid while most co-ops are paid positions. Internship pay rates are available for comparison purposes.

When Will I Work?

Internships and co-ops are available all year – fall, spring and summer. Internships may be part-time or full-time, and may continue beyond a single semester. Student work schedules are usually flexible. Although schedules vary, students generally work 10 to 15 hours per week in part-time internships. Co-ops are typically full-time.

Where Can I Work?

Interns work anywhere in the world. You may find, for example, an internship as close as Lincoln or your home town, or as far away as Europe or Australia. Review internship listings and print resources in 225 Nebraska Union.

Will I Receive Academic Credit?

Some students earn academic credit in conjunction with internships or co-ops. Credit policies, however, vary by college and department. Credit arrangements should be made at the start of the internship. Students register and pay tuition for credit hours. Credit is contingent upon successful completion of the work experience and academic assignments.

UNL students seeking academic credit for an internship, but unable to receive credit from their own department, may consider Educational Psychology 496/896. Check with an academic advisor to understand how this course applies toward graduation.

International Students

  • Can international students do internships or co-ops?

    International students may be able to participate in co-ops or internships through Curricular Practical Training (CPT).

    Before beginning a co-op or internship, international students must obtain CPT authorization from UNL International Student and Scholar Services. Failure to do so may jeopardize the student’s visa status. Approval is for one semester at a time, provided the student and experience comply with appropriate U.S. requirements.

    International students must:

    • Be currently enrolled as a full-time student
    • Have been in F-1 status for 9 consecutive months
    • Receive academic credit for the internship

    Internship/co-op must be:

    • In the student’s major field of study
    • An integral part of the student’s established curriculum
    • Recommended and approved by the student’s academic advisor