Increasingly, connecting with employers is done electronically, which presents new challenges to the job seeker. Consider the following guidelines as you manage your on-line job search.
Applying via E-mail
- Establish a professional, formal email account name, avoiding words or phrases that will undercut your credibility.
- Follow instructions, i.e. referencing job code numbers in the header.
- Use a short but meaningful subject header which includes your name.
- Send your resume and cover letter in the body of the email. You may also make them attachments, but not all employers will be willing to open such documents.
- Write your correspondence as a formal letter, using an appropriate salutation and not using emoticons or all capital letters.
- Use a standard font such as Times or Arial and do not use the Tab key, bold or italics .
- Replace bulleted items with standard keyboard symbols such as an asterisk (*) or a dash (-).
- Edit lines to 65 characters or fewer and allow lines to wrap naturally.
- Include a section of "Key Words" communicating skills and areas of knowledge.
- Proof your work just as you would hard-copy correspondence.
- Follow company-specific web site instructions, but be cautious in providing personal information such as social security number.
- Review as much of the application site as is allowed to avoid entering information in an incorrect or less appropriate section and to plan your entry of your qualifications.
- Complete all fields, even those that are not required.
- Be aware of when your application is submitted; some sites allow you to enter data in stages with a final submit option.
- Proof your work just as you would hard-copy.
- Target your information to the individual company and the specific position, using words found in the job description wherever possible.
- Submit applications for each job of interest, updating your profile as appropriate.
- Use key words found in the job description in your qualifications and in fields requesting such a summary.
- Follow-up with employers on specific openings just as if hard-copy been sent.
Husker Hire Link
Connect with employers for jobs and internships. It's free, convenient and easy to use. Log-in or create an account now!