A Strategic Plan for UNL: Setting Our Compass
UNL has a sustainable vision of excellence that evolves in response to the conversations and actions of the entire university community. This vision has produced remarkable momentum towards excellence.
Our vision, as a land-grant, comprehensive university, is to place the University of Nebraska-Lincoln in the forefront of public higher education—to excel at all of our missions of teaching, research, and engagement. In doing so, we will attain national and international fame, while always serving the needs of all Nebraskans.
As Nebraska’s only land-grant, comprehensive, research university, our mission is clear. It is defined by the Board of Regents and the Nebraska Statutes. We are directed to teach, to do research, and to serve Nebraskans. These missions are intertwined and interdependent. The products of the fulfillment of our mission are young adults prepared to lead successful lives, innovation that expands our horizons and our economy, creative activity that improves the quality of our lives, and a close connection to the needs and aspirations of Nebraska.
Our Core Values
In 2006, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln adopted a set of Core Values, as an outcome of our academic strategic planning process. These core values were derived after broad participation by members of the University community. Like our vision and our mission, they reflect the commitment of a land-grant, comprehensive research university.
- Learning that prepares students for lifetime success and leadership;
- Excellence pursued without compromise;
- Achievement supported by a climate that celebrates each person's success;
- Diversity of ideas and people;
- Engagement with academic, business, and civic communities throughout Nebraska and the world;
- Research and creative activity that inform teaching, foster discovery, and contribute to economic prosperity and our quality of life;
- Stewardship of the human, financial, and physical resources committed to our care.