Build your credentials and shape your experience.
There’s no greater way to satisfy your curiosity than by jumping in and getting your feet wet. The Department of English has relationships with reputable and exciting companies looking for inquisitive and ambitious students to fulfill internship roles, summer jobs, and more.
Take your English or Film Studies knowledge and put it to work with volunteer opportunities, paid internships, and internships for credit.
We may be in the heartland of America, but we are committed to bringing global perspectives to our students in and out of the classroom. Students from the Department of English travel the world for diverse and eye-opening experiences.
Getting StartedRecommendations for interested students
- Schedule a meeting with Career Services to learn about additional internship opportunities.
- Schedule a meeting with the English Undergraduate Advisor to discuss your career and internship interests.
- Log on to Husker Hire Link to view internship updates. Also, check websites and listings updated on this page.
- Attend Fall, Spring, or Non-Profit/Public Service Career Fairs to learn about local and national opportunities
- Decide what type of internship experience fits best with your professional plans and which semester you would like to gain the experience.
- If you request to earn credit, consult with the English Undergraduate Advisor about credit options. For ENGL 495 credit, complete the Internship Contract Form available at 201 Andrews Hall. Note: ENGL 495 requires that you find a supervising faculty member. If you need assistance identifying an appropriate faculty member, contact the English Undergraduate Advisor and/or the Vice Chair.
- Center for Digital Research in the Humanities, including the Whitman Archive and the Cather Archive. Contact Laura Weakly, (402) 472-4547; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- UNL Writing Center. Contact Dr. Rachel Azima, email@example.com
- Lincoln Literacy Council. Contact Clayton Naff, (402) 476-7323, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Writing Lincoln Initiative. Contact Marcus Meade, email@example.com
- The Nebraska Writers Collective. Internship only available for spring semester. Contact Stacey Waite, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lincoln Public Schools' Teammates Mentoring Program. Contact Dr. Joan Jacobs, (402) 436-1990
- Nebraska Department of Education
- Lincoln Public Schools' Gifted Mentoring Program, (402) 436-1822, email@example.com
- Film Streams. Contact Brooke Masek, firstname.lastname@example.org
- The American Pavilion programs
- Mary Riepma Ross Media Arts Center
Library and Information Science
- UNL Libraries, including the Special Collections department. Contact Dr. Joan Giesecke, (402) 472-7472, 318 Love Library.
- Bennett Martin Public Library, (402) 441-8500.
- Sheldon Museum of Art. Contact Director of Education, Sharon Kennedy, (402) 472-2461, email@example.com
- Nebraska Historical Society
Editing & Publishing
- Prairie Schooner. Contact Ashley Strosnider, (402) 472-0911, 123 Andrews Hall; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Laurus. Contact Mike Page, email@example.com
- New York Publishing. Competitive internships available for fall, spring, and summer semesters. For application information, schedule a meeting with the English Undergraduate Advisor using MyPlan.
- University of Nebraska Press. Contact (402) 472-3581
- Sandhills Publishing. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org (402) 479-2181
- The Daily Nebraskan. Contact (402) 472-2588, email@example.com, application available online
- The DailyER Nebraskan
- Hear Nebraska