Hillegass University Professor of American literature
Degrees and institutions granting the degree
- Whitman College, BA
- University of Chicago, MA
- University of Chicago, PhD
Professional areas of specialty
Nineteenth- and early Twentieth-Century American literature, Walt Whitman, American Periodicals, Textual Scholarship, Digital Humanities.
Courses regularly taught
Walt Whitman, American Poetry, Literary Texts in a Digital Age.
Selected publications and/or projects
- Electronic Projects
- The Walt Whitman Archive (co-edited with Ed Folsom)
- Civil War Washington
- Books and Selected Articles
- Leaves of Grass: The Sesquicentennial Essays, ed. with Susan Belasco and Ed Folsom (University of Nebraska Press, 2007)
- Re-Scripting Walt Whitman: An Introduction to His Life and Work (with Ed Folsom (Blackwell Publishing, 2005)
- To Walt Whitman, America (University of North Carolina Press, 2004)
- Critical Essays on James Weldon Johnson, ed. with Lawrence J. Oliver (G. K. Hall, 1997).
- Walt Whitman: The Contemporary Reviews (Cambridge University Press, 1996).
- Periodical Literature in Nineteenth-Century America, ed. with Susan Belasco Smith (University Press of Virginia, 1995).
- Critical Essays on George Santayana, ed. with Robert C. Leitz, III (G.K. Hall, 1991).
- Whitman and Tradition: The Poet in His Century (Yale University Press, 1990).
- Dear Brother Walt: The Letters of Thomas Jefferson Whitman, ed. with Dennis Berthold (The Kent State University Press, 1984).
- "Edition, Project, Database, Archive, Thematic Research Collection: What's in a Name?" forthcoming in Digital Humanities Quarterly, 2009.
- "Electronic Scholarly Editions" in the Blackwell Companion to Digital Literary Study, ed. Susan Schreibman and Ray Siemens (Blackwell Publishing, 2007), pp. 434-50.
- "Sixty-Eight Previously Uncollected Reviews of Walt Whitman," co-authored with Brett Barney, Amanda Gailey, Ted Genoways, Charles Green, Heather Morton, and Yelizaveta Renfro, Walt Whitman Quarterly Review, 25 (Summer/Fall 2007), 1-76.
Kenneth M. Price
336C Andrews Hall
Lincoln, NE 68588-0333