Degrees and institutions granting the degree
- Michigan State University, BA
- Michigan State University, MA
- Michigan State University, PhD
Professional Areas of Specialty
- Multi-Cultural Twentieth-Century Women Writers
- Harlem Renaissance
- Women's Studies
- Ethnic Studies
- American Literature
Courses regularly taught
- Images of Women in Popular Culture (315B)
- Twentieth Century Women Writers (4/814B)
- Seminars in Edith Wharton
- Women of the Harlem Renaissance
Selected publications and/or projects
- Shadowed Dreams: Women's Poetry of the Harlem Renaissance (Rutgers 1989), revised edition 2006.
- Double-Take: A Revisionist Harlem Renaissance Anthology (Rutgers 2001) co-edited with Venetria Patton.
- A Japanese Nightingale by Onoto Watanna and Madame Butterfly by John Luther Long (Rutgers 2002) co-edited with Jean Lee Cole.
- Bitter Fruit: African American Women in World War II (University of Missouri 1999).
- Breaking the Ties That Bind: Popular Stories of the New Woman (University of Oklahoma 1992), eBook at www.netLibrary.com.
- Creating Rosie the Riveter: Class, Gender and Propaganda in World War II (University of Massachusetts Press 1984). eBook at www.netLibrary.com.
- Former Director of Women's Studies, 1987-1992.
313 Andrews Hall
Lincoln, NE 68588-0333