University Professor and George Holmes Distinguished Professor of English
Degrees and institutions granting the degree
- University of Wisconsin, Ph.D.
Professional areas of specialty
- British Romanticism
- later 18th-century British literature
- women writers of the Romantic period
- Literature and the Other Arts
- the Shelley circle
- Creative Writing (Poetry)
Courses regularly taught
- British Poetry of the Romantic Period
- Seminars in individual Romantic authors
- Women writers of the Romantic period
- Romantic Ficton
- Interdisciplinary Theory
Selected Publications and/or projects
- British Women Poets and the Romantic Writing Community. Johns Hopkins University Press, 2009.
- Editor, Percy Bysshe Shelley’s Poetry and Prose. A Longman Cultural Edition. New York: Longman, 2009.
- Editor, Irish Women Poets of the Romantic Period. An electronic textbase of 90+ volumes by 50+ poets. Alexander Street Press, 2008.
- History (poetry). Minneapolis: Mid-List Press, 2005.
- Scottish Women Poets of the Romantic Period. Co-Edited with Nancy J. Kushigian. Alexander Street Press. 2002.
- Romanticism and Women Poets: Opening the Doors of Reception, co-edited with Harriet Kramer Linkin. Lexington: University Press of Kentucky, 1999.
- Royal Mourning and Regency Culture: Elegies and Memorials of Princess Charlotte. London/New York: Macmillan/St. Martin's, 1997.
- Romanticism, Radicalism, and the Press, edited with an introductory essay by Stephen C. Behrendt. Detroit: Wayne State UP, 1997.
- A Step in the Dark (poetry). Minneapolis: Mid-List Press, 1996.
- Reading William Blake. London/New York: Macmillan/St. Martin's, 1992.
Current research activities include projects on Romantic women writers and radical politics, William Blake, Romantic fiction, and issues of canonicity and periodicity in the Romantic period.
319 Andrews Hall
Lincoln, NE 68588-0333
Stephen Behrendt's Webpage