Ryan Professor of Film Studies
Series Editor, New Perspectives on World Cinema, Anthem Press, London
Degrees and Institutions Granting the Degree
- Livingston College-New Brunswick, BA, 1972
- Rutgers University-New Brunswick, MA
- Rutgers University-New Brunswick, MPhil, 1980
- Rutgers University-New Brunswick, PhD, 1982
Professional Areas of Specialty
- Film history, theory and criticism.
Courses Regularly Taught
Please see Film Studies Curriculum at programs/filmstudies.html
Personal Teaching Statement
My interests include film history, theory and criticism, with an emphasis on the recovery of historically neglected texts. I'm also an active critic, writer, and editor.
Selected Publications and/or Projects
- Streaming: Movies, Media and Instant Access. University Press of Kentucky, 2013.
- Death of the Moguls: The End of Classical Hollywood. Rutgers University Press, 2012.
- 21st-Century Hollywood: Movies in the Era of Transformation by Wheeler Winston Dixon and Gwendolyn Audrey Foster. Rutgers University Press, 2011.
- A History of Horror. Rutgers University Press, 2010.
- Film Noir and The Cinema of Paranoia. Edinburgh University Press / Rutgers University Press, 2009.
- A Short History of Film by Wheeler Winston Dixon and Gwendolyn Audrey Foster. Rutgers University Press, 2008. 441 pages.
- Film Talk: Directors at Work. Rutgers University Press, 2007. 218 pages.
- Visions of Paradise: Images of Eden in the Cinema. Rutgers University Press, 2006. 220 pages.
- American Cinema of the 1940s: Themes and Variations, a volume in the series American Decades, American Culture.
- Lost in the Fifties: Recovering Phantom Hollywood. Southern Illinois University Press, 2005. 209 pages.
- Film and Television After 9/11. Southern Illinois University Press, 2004. 262 pages. Selected as one of the Outstanding Titles in the Performing Arts for 2004 by Choice.
- Visions of the Apocalypse: spectacles of Destruction in American Cinema. Wallflower Press, 2003. 168 pages.
- University Outstanding Research and Creative Achievement Award, 2006.
- College Outstanding Research and Creative Achievement Award, 2003.
- College of Arts and Sciences Award for Distinguished Teaching; 1993.
- Editor-in-Chief, with Gwendolyn Audrey Foster, of Quarterly Review of Film and Video, an internationally distributed quarterly academic journal on film studies, published by Routledge.
Wheeler Winston Dixon
108 Andrews Hall
Lincoln, NE 68588-0333
Streaming: Movies, Media and Instant Access (University Press of Kentucky, 2013)