After my first book, Violent Affect: Literature, Cinema, and Critique after Representation (University of Nebraska Press, 2007), I switched my research focus to contemporary German cinema. In addition to a host of articles on and interviews with contemporary German filmmakers, I also published two books on the subject: The Counter-Cinema of the Berlin School (Camden House, 2013), which won the German Studies Association prize for Best Book 2014, and as co-editor Im Angesicht des Fernsehens: Der Filmemacher Dominik Graf (text + kritik, 2010), which at the time was the first book on what is arguably Germany’s greatest contemporary genre filmmaker. Also as co-editor I’m currently working on A Transnational Art-Cinema: Berlin School and Its Global Contexts (under pre-contract with Wayne State University Press) and have a co-edited special issue for The Sixties: A Journal of History, Politics and Culture, “What was Politics in 68? A Special Issue on the West German Sixties,” which is forthcoming in 2015. This last project connects with me on a new research project I’m in the process of developing, which deals with the so-called New Munich Group of filmmakers (specifically, Klaus Lemke, Rudolf Thome, Maz Zihlmann, Roger Fritz, Martin Müller, and the duo May Spils/& Werner Enke) of the mid to late 1960s. Together with my departmental colleague, Roland Végső, I’m also co-editor of the book series, Provocations, which the University of Nebraska Press published.
A complete list of my publications can be found through my personal homepage @ http://www.marcoabel.com/. Some recent or forthcoming publications of mine on German cinema include:
- "'A Sharpening of Our Regard': Realism, Affect, and the Redistribution of the Sensible in Valeska Grisebach's Longing [Sehnsucht]." In German Language Cinema in the New Millennium: Beyond the Cinema of Consensus? Eds. Paul Cooke and Christoph Homewood. I.B. Taurus, 2011
- "Underground Film Germany in the Age of Control Societies: The 'Cologne Group'." Quarterly Review of Film and Video 27.2 (2010)
- "Failing to Connect: Itinerations of Desire in Oskar Roehler's Post-Romance Films." New German Critique 37 (1 109) (Winter 2010).
- "'I Build a Jigsaw Puzzle of a Dream-Germany': An Interview with German Filmmaker Dominik Graf." Senses of Cinema online (July-September 2010).
- "Imaging Germany: The (Political) Cinema of Christian Petzold." In The Collapse of the Conventional. Eds. Jaimey Fisher and Brad Prager. Wayne State UP, 2010.
- "Intensifying Life: The Cinema of the Berlin School." Cineaste online (fall 2008).
Prior publications on American Literature, Film, and Continental Theory include:
- "Intensifying Affect." Electronic Book Review, October 2008: 11,000 words.
- "Don DeLillo's 'In the Ruins of the Future': Literature, Images, and the Rhetoric of Seeing 9/11." PMLA 118.5 (October 2003): 1236-1250
- "Speeding Across the Rhizome: Deleuze Meets Kerouac On The Road." Modern Fiction Studies 48.2 (! Summer 2002): 227-256.
- Judgment is not an Exist: Toward an Affective Criticism of Violence with American Psycho." Angelaki 6.3 (December 2001): 137-154.