Hiring officials and search committees must be submitted to and approved by Institutional Equity and Compliance (IEC) before any application materials are reviewed. Membership of search committees must include gender and racial/ethnic representation. All members of the search committee (hiring official, chair and members) must have current search committee certification. For more information on certification and available training seminars, see the Search Process Seminars page.
Search committees are generally required for all faculty, administrative and managerial/professional searches. If Human Resources has informed you that a search committee is not required for your search, you still must submit the identity of the hiring official to IEC for approval. In that case, the hiring official will act as a committee of one and will be the only person reviewing application materials and preparing the short list. All other steps in the search process must still be followed.
Steps for Submitting the Hiring Official/Search Committee
1. Login to PeopleAdmin (employment.unl.edu/hr) and open your requisition.
2. Select Edit (near the job title).
3. Select Hiring Official/Search Committee from the menu at the left.
4. Select Add Hiring Official/Search Committee Entry. Enter the names, university appointment types (faculty/staff, graduate student, etc.) and search roles (hiring official, chair or member) for each person. Remember to save before leaving this section.
5. Notify IEC via e-mail (email@example.com) that your hiring official/search committee is ready for review. Please include the requisition number, position title and contact information in the email. You will be notified within two university business days via email whether: 1) there are individuals that need to attend search process training or update their certification; 2) there are other concerns regarding the composition of the committee; and/or 3) when your search committee has been approved. Instructions regarding how to register for a search process seminar can be found on the IEC Search Process Seminars page.