Prepare for Your Future

Fellowship Preparation

If you are a first year student, or simply planning on applying for a scholarship in a few years, we encourage you to consult our Scholarship Preparation page.

We have broken up the fellowship pathways by student interest area.  Please take your time to investigate which scholarship you wish to puruse and follow the links to see how to prepare for them.

Engineering, Mathematics, and Natural Sciences

Sophomores and juniors with a minimum GPA of 3.9 and planning to pursue a PhD with a career focused on research should apply for the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship. (Pre-Med students are not eligible to apply unless they are interested in the MD/PhD.)

Juniors and seniors, majoring in biology, chemistry, physics, earth sciences, or engineering, who wish to research at German universities for two to three months during their summer with research groups in their field of study should consider applying for the DAAD Rise Research Internship.

Graduating seniors who will pursue a research-based Master's and doctoral degree in National Science Foundation (NSF) supported science, technology, engineering and mathematics disciplines ought to apply for a NSF Graduate Research Fellowship.

Public Service

Sophomores and juniors committed to careers related to the environment, tribal public policy, or Native American health care should consider applying for a Morris K. Udall Scholarship.

Juniors interested in public service, with goals to work in law, public service or policy, who have a strong record of public service and leadership should apply for the Harry S. Truman Scholarship.

Juniors with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher, and an interest to work as a Foreign Service Officer in the U.S. Department of State should consider applying for the Thomas R. Pickering Foreign Affairs Undergraduate Fellowship.

Study at Foreign Universitites

Students with a strong desire to study in the UK,with superior academics, engagement in service, and leadership experience should explore applying for the Gates-Cambridge, the Rhodes, or the Marshall Scholarship.

Graduating seniors who are interested in undertaking a research project in any field at a foreign gradaute institution for one year after graduation, or assisting teachers in an English language classroom abroad should apply for a Research Award, or an English Teaching Assistantship, respectively, through the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.

Sophomores, juniors, and seniors interested in group-based intensive language instruction abroad for seven to ten weeks during the summer should consider applying for the Critical Language Scholarship.

Students interested in studying abroad and acquiring language skills in nations considered critical to national security, as well as willing to fulfill the federal government service requirement by working in the Departments of Defense, Homeland Security, State, or Intelligence should apply for the NSEP Boren Scholarship.