The Hixson-Lied College of Fine and Performing Arts nurtures creative, artistic activity and scholarship; educates students to a high level of accomplishment as artists, teachers, and scholars; and enriches the education of all students through the study and practice of the arts.
The College provides the citizens of Nebraska with opportunities to enjoy, appreciate, and participate in the arts through outreach programs. Through its creative activity, research, and exhibitions it contributes to the arts nationally and internationally.
In fulfillment of its mission, the College:
- Provides comprehensive educational programs of study in the arts at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Fosters creative activity and scholarly research in the arts.
- Provides professional preparation for artists, historians, theorists, and arts educators.
- Sustains a strong commitment to liberal education for all UNL students through its course offerings and special programs.
- Provides opportunities for the performance, collection, preservation, publication, and exhibition of important works.
- Develops supportive and knowledgeable audiences and patrons for the arts.
- Maintains a strong interdisciplinary and continuing education emphasis by creating comprehensive cultural and educational opportunities.
- Supports and contributes to collaborative multicultural and intercultural programs.
- Serves the entire state and region as an important artistic and cultural resource through its exhibitions, performances, and educational outreach programs.
- Provides leadership for the understanding and development of the arts in the state and nation.