The UNL Graduate Faculty welcomes associations with faculty members from other institutions who might contribute unique expertise to our doctoral programs. These external experts are given courtesy membership on a doctoral student’s committee. Courtesy members
- must hold a doctoral degree appropriate to the discipline and have academic accomplishments comparable to the criteria for UNL Graduate Faculty;
- are appointed as voting members of the Supervisory Committee;
- must be willing to participate in the student’s doctoral program in a manner consistent with this role;
- may serve as one of the two appointed readers; but may not serve as committee chair, co-chair, or outside representative;
- are not granted blanket status and must be approved separately for each supervisory committee upon which the individual is nominated to serve;
- only one courtesy member may serve on each supervisory committee, and the committee must also include a minimum of four members of the University of Nebraska Graduate Faculty.
Appointment of a courtesy member is accomplished by the submission of the Courtesy Committee Member form signed by the Supervisory Committee chair and Graduate Committee chair. A current CV from the courtesy member should be submitted with this form (the CV may be e-mailed to email@example.com "Courtesy Member CV" in the subject line).