Admission Categories

Interested in applying for admission?

You're viewing a policy page in the Graduate Bulletin. You may instead want our Prospective Students section, where you'll find steps to admission, programs offered, info for international students, and more.

Graduate students may be admitted into one of the following categories.

Degree Objective

Admission to the Graduate College as a degree-seeking student requires application to both Graduate Studies and the Graduate Committee within an academic unit. Applicants to a degree program must send an application, application fee, one official transcript from all post-secondary schools attended, and fulfill any additional requirements the department specifies, such as statement of goals, test scores, portfolios, etc. Specific requirements for each department are listed in Programs Offered.

Non-Degree, Post-Baccalaureate

Non-degree, post-baccalaureate admission to the Graduate College is completed through the Graduate Studies office. Applicants are reviewed for minimum standards upon receipt of an application, application fee and one official baccalaureate or higher degree transcript.

Those seeking another undergraduate degree should contact Undergraduate Admissions for advising and assistance. Students seeking a non-degree admission for an initial teacher certification, renewal of a teacher certification, or additional teaching endorsements should contact the College of Education and Human Sciences Student Services Center.

Limitations to a non-degree, post-baccalaureate admission:

  • It is not a guarantee of future admission to a degree program. Students must apply formally through Graduate Studies for acceptance into a degree program.
  • Students will not qualify for assistantships or fellowships in this category. Financial aid in the form of student loans is limited to those taking only undergraduate hours as prerequisites for admission to a specific graduate or professional program. The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid can supply further information about the availability of these loans.
  • This admission is not available to international students on F-1 student visas.

Express Non-degree Post-baccalaureate Admission

An Express Admission allows a student to register for classes without waiting for Graduate Studies to receive transcripts. The admission may be extended beyond one term only upon receipt of an official degree transcript. Applicants requesting an Express Admission must be eligible for non-degree post-baccalaureate admission and have earned a bachelors or higher degree with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.50 on a 4.00 scale.

Non-Degree, Visiting Graduate

Admission is available to applicants who are actively pursuing graduate studies at U.S. institutions other than the University of Nebraska campuses, and requires submission of an application, application fee, and letter of good standing from the home institution.

Enrollment is limited to two consecutive terms (semesters and/or full summer enrollment).

Intercampus Admission/Intercampus Registration UNO, UNMC and UNK graduate students will use an online application for intercampus registration to register for courses at UNL and will retain their admission at their degree-objective campus. To apply for this admission category, contact the Office of Graduate Studies at your home campus or complete the Online Request for Intercampus Enrollment.

Changing from Non-degree to Degree Status

Any non-degree student who seeks admission to a degree program must apply to the Office of Graduate Studies and be recommended for admission by the departmental or area Graduate Committee. There is no guarantee of ultimate admission to a degree program from non-degree status, nor is there any guarantee that credits earned as a non-degree student will be applied toward a graduate degree. Admission to a degree program must be gained prior to the accumulation of half of the hours required under each of the degree options. Some graduate-level hours completed by non-degree post-baccalaureate students prior to degree program enrollment may be included in a program of studies at the discretion of the major and/or minor department and with the approval of the Dean of Graduate Studies. It is imperative to check with your desired department to obtain information about the maximum number of hours that may be completed prior to admission to their program.