Doctoral Programs Offered
UNL awards three graduate doctoral degrees: Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Doctor of Education (EdD), and Doctor of Musical Arts (DMA).
UNL's professional doctoral programs — e.g., JD, AuD, DPH, DVM — are not overseen by Graduate Studies or covered by this Graduate Bulletin.
To qualify for a doctoral degree, it is the student’s responsibility to meet the following requirements as part of the Doctoral Degree Milestones:
- Establish a Supervisory Committee prior to completion of one half of the doctoral coursework.
- Complete a Program of Studies, approved by the Supervisory Committee and filed in Graduate Studies prior to completion of one half of the doctoral coursework.
- PhD: At least 90 credit hours, including 12 to 55 hours of dissertation research.
- EdD: At least 96 credit hours, including 6 hours of research tools and 12 to 55 hours of dissertation research.
- DMA: At least 90 credit hours, including a minimum of 3 hours doctoral document research.
- Achieve academic residency.
- Pass a comprehensive examination — written and potentially also oral — in the major and minor fields of study.
- Achieve candidacy and satisfy requirements for registration during candidacy.
- Prepare a dissertation (for PhD or EdD) or doctoral document (for DMA), pass a final examination (defense), and submit the approved final version to the University.
- Complete all work for the doctoral degree within eight years of filing the Program of Studies in Graduate Studies.
All research involving human or animal subjects must receive approval from the Institutional Review Board (IRB) and/or the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). The IRB New Protocol Submission form is completed online via NUGrant; the Application to Use Animals is available from the Office of Research Responsibility.
Approval must be secured prior to the initiation of the research; the IRB and IACUC will not review projects already in progress. Evidence of IRB/IACUC approval must be submitted at the time the final dissertation is filed.