Financial Aid

Interested in applying for admission?

You're viewing a policy page in the Graduate Bulletin. You may instead want our Prospective Students section, where you'll find steps to admission, programs offered, info for international students, and more.

Loans and need-based application process

The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid (OSFA) does not participate in the granting of fellowships or assistantships but does maintain current information on other forms of financial support available to students.

To apply for Federal Work-Study, Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Stafford Loans, Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans, submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the processing center as soon as possible after January 1. Federal Perkins Loans and Federal Work-Study are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis to domestic students with a completed financial aid file as long as funds are available. (International students are ineligible to apply for federal loans.)

To have a completed file, a student must:

  1. Submit a FAFSA to the processing center.
  2. Be admitted to a degree program (contact OSFA for exceptions).
  3. If you are transferring to UNL or if you attended another postsecondary school as an undergraduate, submit a financial aid transcript to OSFA from all schools attended. A financial aid transcript is required even if you did not receive financial aid.
  4. Submit all documentation requested by OSFA as required for verification.

 To receive financial aid you must be making satisfactory progress toward a degree. Maintaining satisfactory progress at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL) requires you to successfully complete a minimum number of hours according to the Minimum UNL Attempted Credit Hours Completed Table.

In addition, you must complete your degree prior to reaching the maximum credit hour limit in the Maximum Total Credit Hours Attempted Schedule. Questions concerning this policy should be directed to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.