Majors, Minors, and More

Majors and Degrees

Approved major-degree programs are listed in Programs Offered. Degree level determines the Graduate Studies requirements for completing a program, as described in master's, doctoral, or Ed.S. overviews.

Master's Degree with Double Major

After earning Admission to a Double Major, students must meet minimum requirements for each of the majors. A minimum of half the hours must come from each major; the number of credits may vary based on the total required hours for each major. For each of the two majors, students must take a minimum number of credits, as specified for their Option, in courses open only to graduate students.

The student must satisfy the comprehensive examination requirements for each major.

  • The examining committee shall consist of two graduate faculty members from each of the major departments/areas; it shall be co-chaired by one from each.
  • All committee members must be resident Graduate Faculty, Graduate Faculty Associates, or courtesy members. At least one of the two members from each department must be Graduate Faculty or Graduate Faculty Associates.

Doctoral Degree with Double Major

At the doctoral level, five double majors are approved:

  • Statistics & Agricultural Economics
  • Statistics & Agronomy
  • Statistics & Animal Science
  • Statistics & Economics
  • Statistics & Natural Resource Sciences

Any other major pairings are subject to approval by the departmental graduate committees and the Dean for Graduate Studies.

Second Master's Degree

Students who have earned a previous graduate degree at any institution may pursue additional degrees at the master's level. The subsequent master's degree(s) may be in the same discipline as the previously earned degree, or in a different discipline.

As described in Double-Counting policy:

  • No graduate credits from a graduate degree previously awarded at any institution, including UNL, will be accepted toward a subsequent master's program.
  • Graduate credits not previously applied toward a degree may be considered for transfer to a subsequent master's if the graduate credits were earned within 10 years prior to completing the master's degree at UNL.


A minor is a course of study in addition to the major, effectively an abbreviated second major.

  • For any major approved to offer a master's degree, a minor of the same name is offered.
    • For example, an MA in History exists so a minor in History is available.
  • A few additional minors have been established without a corresponding master's-level major.
    • Beef Cattle Nutrition
    • College STEM Education
    • Construction Management
    • Medieval and Renaissance Studies
    • Quantitative, Qualitative, and Psychometric Methods (also available as a specialization)
    • Water Resources Planning and Management (also available as a specialization)
    • Women's and Gender Studies (also available as a specialization)


A master's student may declare a minor on the Memorandum of Courses.

  • A minor under any Option must consist of at least 9 credit hours.
  • Depending on the Option, a minor may be optional, required, or unavailable.
  • A faculty member from the minor department must sign the Memorandum of Courses and the Final Examination Report.


A doctoral student may declare a minor in their Program of Studies.

  • The minor's credit hours are included in the total for the doctoral program and must include at least 15 hours, with 6 hours in courses open exclusively to graduate students (900 level, or 800 level without 400 level or lower counterparts).
  • A graduate faculty member from the minor program must be a member of the student’s Supervisory Committee.


A specialization is a well-defined focus within a particular major or set of majors, typically 9 to 12 hours, established by approval of the UNL Graduate Council.

A student may choose a specialization while applying for admission or later when filing a plan of study. Once added to a student's program, the specialization is listed with the major on official records and transcripts.

Areas of Study

Areas — also known as concentrations or emphases — are informal and do not appear in official records.