If a student wishes to drop all courses being taken in the term, this is considered a withdrawal. Withdrawals may be accomplished through the MyRED system. Students may withdraw from classes, regardless of circumstance, from the first day of classes through the 3/4-point of the term. Withdrawals that occur after the second week (or 2/16th) of the term but before the 3/4-point will be noted by automatic entry of a “W” grade for all uncompleted courses.

Any withdraw from classes after the 3/4 point of the term must be for extraordinary circumstances and will be granted only by petition through the Office of Graduate Studies. The following documentation is needed:

  1. A written request from the student within 60 days of the end of the term.
  2. Written permission from the instructor.
  3. Documentation for illness, death in the family or abrupt change in work schedule.

The result of a successful petition will be posting of a grade of “W” on the transcript for the respective course(s). If the petition is denied the grade submitted by the instructor will be posted to the transcript.

If after the census date or the last day to add classes in each term the student decides to drop a course or courses and/or withdraw from the University, it is highly recommended that the student contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid to discuss the implication the action may have on future eligibility to receive financial assistance.

If the student is on an assistantship, the student should contact the department Graduate Chair to discuss the ramifications of the withdrawal before actually withdrawing from the course work.

For complete procedures, dates and regulations refer to the current semester’s Academic Calendar.