Warren and Edith Day Dissertation Travel Awards

For more information, contact Jane Schneider.

Eligibility Requirements

Full-time students who cannot complete research for their dissertation except by travel and who have been admitted to Candidacy (as defined in the Graduate Studies Bulletin), or who present written justification by the chair of their supervisory committee.

These funds do not allow support for travel:

  • outside the continental U.S.
  • to attend a conference
  • to present a paper
  • that has been completed prior to the application of funds
  • to a student who as been awarded/used Day travel funds in the past


After you've reviewed the Day Award Guidelines (PDF), prepare your application and supporting documentation:

  • Day Award Application Form (MS Word)
  • Letter (not more than 2 pages) indicating:
    1) subject and brief description of dissertation
    2) progress to date
    3) institution(s) and/or individuals to be visited
    4) statement of expected accomplishments as a result of the travel.
  • Statement from advisor certifying the necessity for travel to complete your dissertation
  • Written proof of access to library, individual, private papers, documents, etc.
  • Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval if human or animal subjects are involved.

Submit completed application materials at least two weeks prior to the proposed trip to:

Attn. Jane Schneider
Office of Graduate Studies
1100 Seaton Hall
City Campus 0619.

Applications will be judged on exceptional merit, feasibility, substantial prior planning, and consultation.

If you receive the award

Funds must be used within one year of award.

If you are planning to use air travel, the University has an exclusive contract with Travel and Transport. We request that you arrange any air travel through their offices. You can either contact them by phone at 402-486-4111 or make your reservation on their website. If you book your reservations by phone, a $20 service fee will be added to the cost of your ticket; online bookings incur a $10 service fee. Either of those fees may be reimbursed as long as they fall within the designated amount of your total travel award.

If you do not use Travel and Transport, you will not be reimbursed the cost of any service fees associated with other booking agents. If you find a cheaper flight through other means and complete an Airfare Situation Report (see link on Travel and Transport website), you may be able to book the cheaper flight with complete reimbursement. But again this requires that you have filed the Airfare Situation Report first and been given authorization to book with another agency, online or otherwise.

If your application is approved, you will need to complete a pre-trip travel authorization prior to leaving on the trip and file it with the Graduate Studies Office. Once the trip is complete, you will need to complete an Employee Expense Voucher and file it with Graduate Studies to be reimbursed for the amount awarded. See UNL Accounting's travel page for the form and instructions.