Essential Steps for Graduate Applicants and Students
TrueYou: Claim your account
After you apply:
- Expect email from TrueYou within 1 business day.
- In the emails, note your NUID and temporary password, then follow the email's TrueYou: Claim Your Identity link and fill them in.
- Set your new password. Set answers for your security questions in case you forget your password someday.
MyRED: Check your application status, upload transcripts
After you've claimed your account:
The Office of Graduate Studies manages overall application requirements and statuses. Other requirements may exist at the departmental level.
MyRED: Enroll in classes
After you're admitted and you've claimed your account:
- Sign into MyRED.
- On the Student dashboard, select Enrollment.
- Click the Enroll in Classes button.
- Select your classes and follow the prompts. If a class appears in your "shopping cart" but not in your schedule, you're not enrolled in it yet.
See also: Enrollment Toolbox.
Registration for Fall begins in March/April.
Registration for Spring begins in Oct./Nov.
Registration for Summer begins in March.
MyRED's Student dashboard has many features. In particular we encourage all enrolled students to check the Profile page periodically to keep their information current:
- Address, Phone, and Email. Keep these updated so we can contact you if needed.
- UNL Alert. Choose ways for our automated alert system to inform you about snow days and other unusual hazards on campus.
- Emergency Contact. Tell us who to contact in the unlikely event that something happens to you.
Additional optional features:
- Parent/Guest Access. You can grant access for someone to pay your bill, discuss your grades with campus personnel, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What if I don't know my password?
Have you received the email(s) from TrueYou with your temporary password (or notification that your account is already established)?
- No. — Your account is not yet ready, so wait for the email.
- Yes. — Have you ever completed your TrueYou setup - successfully setting a new password and answers to security questions?
- No. — If you can't find the email message with your temporary password, or if that temporary password has expired, go to the main page of TrueYou and select Claim Your Identity for a claim process that relies on NUID plus either SSN or email.
- Yes. — From the main page of TrueYou, click the Forgot Password link and provide information to verify your identity. You'll then be able to set a new password.
- What if I need to sign in for my department's supplemental application information?
After you apply, allow one business day to receive an email message inviting you to sign into MyRED, go to Admissions > Graduate, and select "Application Status in Your Academic Department". Most graduate degree and certificate programs use this tool. If you click the link before your access is ready, it may seem broken. You may also see this departmental tool referred to as the Graduate Application Management and Evaluation System (GAMES).
- What's TrueYou? Why do I have to do something in TrueYou before I can get into MyRED?
TrueYou is a secure system for managing your account credentials. Initially, you'll set your password and answer a few security questions. If you ever forget your password, want to change your answers to security questions, or need to set a new password, you'll go back to TrueYou for that.
TrueYou is shared by the University of Nebraska and the Nebraska State College System. If you have recent applications, enrollment, or employment at any NU or NSCS school, your TrueYou account setup may already be complete.
- Troubleshooting: I was told to clear my browser cache. How do I do that?
Your browser caches temporary copies of internet files to be more efficient, but if the browser fails to refresh its copy you may find yourself stuck with old or out-of-synch page content.
- Find the controls: Controls for clearing cache have different locations and labels in each browser's menus and settings, but you can often use keyboard shortcuts — Ctrl-Shift-Delete (Windows) and Cmd-Shift-Delete (Mac) — to open the panel.
- Find the checkbox: Make sure the box is checked to clear cached files (labeled as "Cache", "Temporary Internet files", "Cached images and files", or something similar).
- In Internet Explorer, if you've saved MyRED as a Favorite also make sure "Preserve Favorites website data" is unchecked.
- Other checkboxes: You may want to uncheck the remaining boxes to avoid clearing more browser data than necessary.
If a cache clear doesn't solve your problem, contact the Computer Help Center for assistance.