Essential Steps for Graduate Applicants and Students
TrueYou: Claim your account
- Expect to receive email from TrueYou within 1 business day.
- With the temporary password from that email, sign into TrueYou.
- Set your new password.
- Answer your security questions in case you need to reset your password someday.
MyRED: Check your application status, upload transcripts
MyRED: Enroll in classes
- Sign into MyRED.
- On the Student dashboard, select Enrollment.
- Click the Enroll in Classes button.
- Select your classes and follow the prompts. If a class appears in your "shopping cart" but not in your schedule, you're not enrolled in it yet.
Registration for Fall begins in March/April.
Registration for Spring begins in Oct./Nov.
Registration for Summer begins in March.
MyRED's Student dashboard has many features. In particular we encourage all enrolled students to check the Profile page periodically to keep their information current:
- Addresses, Phone Numbers, and Email Addresses. Keep these updated so UNL can contact you if needed.
- UNL Alert. Choose ways for UNL's automated alert system to inform you about snow days and other unusual hazards on campus.
- Emergency Contact. (May appear in Profile menu rather than on Profile page.) Tell us who to contact in the unlikely event that something happens to you.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What if I don't know my password?
- Have you received the email(s) from TrueYou with your temporary password?
- No. — Your account is not yet ready, so wait for the email.
- Yes. — Have you ever completed your TrueYou setup - changing your password and answering security questions?
- No. — If you're sure you can't find the original email message with your password, contact the UNL Helpdesk to request a password reset.
- Yes. — Go to TrueYou, enter your NUID, click the Forgot Password link, and answer your security questions to verify your identity. You'll then be able to set a new password.
- Yes, but I forgot the answers to my security questions. — Contact the UNL Helpdesk to request a password reset. When you get your new password, be sure to also update the answers to your security questions so you can remember them.
- What if I need to use GAMES for my department's supplemental application information?
If you're applying to a department that uses the departmental Graduate Application Management and Evaluation System (GAMES), you'll receive a welcome email from your department when your GAMES access is available, typically on the next business day after you apply.
You'll sign into GAMES directly, using the same NUID and password that get you into TrueYou and MyRED.
- What's TrueYou? Why do I have to do something in TrueYou before I can get into MyRED?
TrueYou is a secure system for managing your account credentials. Initially, you'll set your password and answer a few security questions. If you ever forget your password, want to change your answers to security questions, or need to set a new password, you'll go back to TrueYou for that.
TrueYou is shared by the University of Nebraska and the Nebraska State College System, so if you are already an applicant or student at another NU or NSCS school, your TrueYou account setup may already be complete.
- Parent/guest access: How can I enable someone else to see my grades or pay my bill?
- Sign into TrueYou.
- Click Manage Parent/Guest Access, then New.
- Enter your guest's name, create their password, select which options they should have access to, and click Save.
- Inform your guest of their ID and password and point them toward http://myred.unl.edu/ to sign in.
- What if I'm a guest and I forgot my ID or password?
Talk to the student who created your guest account. The student can tell you your ID and create a new password for you.
- Troubleshooting: I was told to clear my browser cache. How do I do that?
Your browser caches temporary copies of internet files to be more efficient, but if the browser fails to refresh its copy you may find yourself stuck with old or out-of-synch page content.
- Find the controls: Controls for clearing cache have different locations and labels in each browser's menus and settings, but you can often use keyboard shortcuts — Ctrl-Shift-Delete (Windows) and Cmd-Shift-Delete (Mac) — to open the panel.
- Find the checkbox: Make sure the box is checked to clear cached files (labeled as "Cache", "Temporary Internet files", "Cached images and files", or something similar).
- In Internet Explorer, if you've saved MyRED as a Favorite also make sure "Preserve Favorites website data" is unchecked.
- Other checkboxes: You may want to uncheck the remaining boxes to avoid clearing more browser data than necessary.
If a cache clear doesn't solve your problem, contact the UNL Helpdesk.