Graduate Certificate Program Summary
Students in the Family Financial Planning program cover a wide area of topics from the fundamentals for family financial planning to estate and retirement planning. This program focuses on the efforts of households to improve their economic well-being through effective use of resources as well as the economic and social systems that enhance or constrain these efforts. It could lead to professional certification by the CFP Board of Standards.
Job opportunities for individuals with CFP certification include:
- Real estate
- Tax and estate planning
- Financial advising
- Retirement planning
- Income management
Employee benefits and compensations
Distance education opportunitiesAll courses are completed online through Great Plains IDEA, a consortium of 20 universities offering courses and programs in the Human Sciences and Agricultural disciplines.
This graduate certificate is offered by the Department of Child, Youth and Family Studies.
Application checklist and deadlines
Required by the Office of Graduate Studies
- Application for Graduate Admission for a graduate certificate objective
- $50 non-refundable application processing fee
- One set of transcripts confirming eligibility for graduate-level study, uploaded to MyRED (see transcript upload requirements)
- If your native language is not English: verification of English proficiency
- If you are not a US citizen and you hold an F1 visa: concurrent admission to a degree program, because a certificate alone is not sufficient for F1 status
See also: steps to admission.
The graduate certificate program consists of 18 semester credit hours.
Unless stated otherwise, all courses are three credit hours and require admission to the Child, Youth and Family Studies graduate program or permission.
Departments: Have an update for this page? Contact Stacy Dam.
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln does not discriminate based on gender, age, disability, race, color, religion, marital status, veteran's status, national or ethnic origin, or sexual orientation.