Graduate Certificate Program Summary
The Grassland Management graduate certificate is a 12 credit hour program designed for current and future grassland professionals--managers, advisers and conservationists--and others who want to increase their knowledge about the conservation, utilization and sustainability of managed grassland systems.
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Kansas State University, Iowa State University, and the University of Missouri (Columbia) have been collaborating on grasslands management distance education courses as part of the multi-institutional USDA-funded Higher Education Challenge grant. The overarching project goal of the grant is to establish a multi-state agricultural consortium to develop and deliver high-priority collaborative distance education program in the food and agricultural sciences.
There is a history of excellence in grassland research and education at the institutions collaborating on the Grasslands Management Graduate Certificate Program. The graduate certificate is designed to provide students a knowledge base in pasture and range management; vegetation analysis, root growth, and utilization; grassland and wetlands ecology; watershed management; fire ecology; grassland plants, insects and diseases; and basic research and educational programs in grasslands.
Online and Distance OpportunitiesAll courses are completed online through Great Plains IDEA, a consortium of 20 universities offering courses and programs in the Human Sciences and Agricultural disciplines.
Application checklist and deadlines
1. Required by Graduate Studies
Submit these items as part of the standard steps to admission.
- Application for Admission with $50 non-refundable application fee
- One set of transcripts uploaded to MyRED
- If your native language is not English: verification of English proficiency
- If you are not a US citizen and you hold an F1 visa: concurrent admission to a degree program, because a certificate alone is not sufficient for F1 status
2. Required by the department
After you apply, allow one business day for us to set up your access so you can complete these requirements via MyRED.
Application deadlineRolling admission; contact the department for more information.
The Grassland Management certificate is a 12 credit hour program. Students will work with their institutional advisors to develop a plan of study most beneficial to the student. Coursework may be transferred in on a case-by-case basis with approval of the student's advisor.
- AGRO 843: Ecology of Invasive Species (3 cr)
- AGRO 846: Principles of Forage Quality & Evaluation for Grazing Livestock (3 cr)
- AGRO 847: Grassland Fire Ecology (3 cr)
- AGRO 848: Grassland Monitoring & Assessment (2 cr)
- AGRO 849: Watershed Management in Grasslands (3 cr)
- AGRO 851: Grassland Plant Identification (2 cr)