Graduate Certificate Program Summary
Distance education opportunitiesThis certificate is offered online.
This graduate certificate is offered by the Department of Special Education & Communication Disorders.
Professor Karen Hux
Dr. Malinda Eccarius
Dr. Chris Marvin
Dr. Ellin Siegel
Dr. Tessa Wright
Ms. Jill England
Application checklist and deadlines
Required by the Office of Graduate Studies
- Application for Graduate Admission for a graduate certificate objective
- $50 non-refundable application processing fee
- One set of transcripts, uploaded to MyRED (see upload requirements)
- If your native language is not English: verification of English proficiency
- If you are not a US citizen and you hold an F1 visa: concurrent admission to a degree program, because a certificate alone is not sufficient for F1 status
See also: steps to admission.
Required by the department for this certificate
- Letter of Intent
- Department Graduate Certificate Application Form
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- GPA of 3.0 or higher (undergraduate and/or graduate)
- Completion of at least one undergraduate or graduate course in special education with a grade of B or better
- Previous experience with children with disabilities (preferred)
Application deadlineFall semester: July 1; Spring semester: October 1
RequiredSPED 880: Intellectual Disabilities; Fall (on campus only) or Spring (online) Term
SPED 846: Foundations of Visual Impairment; Spring Term
SPED 872: Psych and Soc of Deafness; Fall Term
SPED 960: Family-School Collaboration; Spring or Fall Term
One elective from the followingSPED 863: Medically Fragile Infants; Summer Term
SPED 882: Specialized Instruction for Students with Severe & Multiple Disabilities; Fall Term
SPED 809: Autistic Spectrum Disorders; Fall Term
SPED 836J: Career Education for Special Vocational Needs; Fall Term
Departments: Have an update for this page? Contact Maggie Jobes.
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln does not discriminate based on gender, age, disability, race, color, religion, marital status, veteran's status, national or ethnic origin, or sexual orientation.