Graduate Certificate Summary
DescriptionThe K-3 Mathematics Specialist Certificate is offered through Teaching, Learning and Teacher Education with support from the NebraskaMATH grant. This certificate is especially helpful for starting the careers of new teachers, but experienced educators can also benefit from the specialized instruction in math education.
This certificate is for educators in the NebraskaMATH program looking to enhance their credentials in mathematics education. Educators who earn this certificate can continue as a generalist, teaching in all subjects or move into the role of a math specialist.
All courses are taught on the University of Nebraska-Lincoln city campus or at NebraskaMATH approved sites.
K-3 Mathematics Specialist
- This graduate certificate is offered by the Department of Teaching, Learning, and Teacher Education.
- On the WebDepartment Website
- Graduate ChairDr. Kathy Wilson
Teaching, Learning, and Teacher Education
- Staff ContactShari Daehling
- Faculty ContactDr. Ruth Heaton
- Department Address118C Henzlik Hall
Lincoln NE 68588-0385
Application Checklist and Deadlines
Required by the Office of Graduate Studies
- Application for Graduate Admission for a graduate certificate objective
- $50 non-refundable application processing fee
- One set of transcripts, uploaded to MyRED (see upload requirements)
- If your native language is not English: verification of English proficiency
- If you are not a US citizen and you hold an F1 visa: concurrent admission to a degree program, because a certificate alone is not sufficient for F1 status
See also: steps to admission.
Required by the Department for this Certificate
- Applicants must be admitted to the NebraskaMATH program.
Application DeadlineDeadlines will be posted on the NebraskaMATH website
CoursesThe K-3 Mathematics Specialist Certificate is a 15 credit hour program.
To earn the certificate, participants must first be admitted to the program and then complete the five designated courses, which are 3 credit hours each.
MATH 801P - Geometry, Measurement, and Algebraic Thinking for K-3 Mathematics Specialists
MATH 802P - Geometry, Measurement, and Algebraic Thinking II for K-3 Mathematics Specialists
TEAC 808A - Improvement of Instruction in Elementary School Mathematics
TEAC 808J - Improvement of Instruction in Elementary School Mathematics
TEAC 907 - Seminar in Elementary School Mathematics
More Course InformationThe Graduate Bulletin provides course descriptions, prerequisites, degree program requirements, and more.
The Schedule of Classes specifies dates, times, locations, and instructors when this course is offered.
Related PagesStudents interested in K-3 Mathematics Specialist also may want information about:
Departments: Have an update for this page? Contact Maggie Jobes.
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln does not discriminate based on gender, age, disability, race, color, religion, marital status, veteran's status, national or ethnic origin, or sexual orientation.