Graduate Certificate Program Summary
The K-3 Mathematics Specialist Certificate is offered through Teaching, Learning and Teacher Education with support from the NebraskaMATH grant. This certificate is especially helpful for starting the careers of new teachers, but experienced educators can also benefit from the specialized instruction in math education.
This certificate is for educators in the NebraskaMATH program looking to enhance their credentials in mathematics education. Educators who earn this certificate can continue as a generalist, teaching in all subjects or move into the role of a math specialist.
All courses are taught on the University of Nebraska-Lincoln city campus or at NebraskaMATH approved sites.
Online and Distance OpportunitiesSome online coursework may be available for your program; contact dept. for details.
Ask a question
Other Ways to Connect
Dr. Guy Trainin
Dr. Ruth Heaton
118C Henzlik Hall
Lincoln NE 68588-0385
Application checklist and deadlines
1. Required by Graduate Studies
Submit these items as part of the standard steps to admission.
- Application for Admission with $50 non-refundable application fee
- One set of transcripts uploaded to MyRED
- If your native language is not English: verification of English proficiency
- If you are not a US citizen and you hold an F1 visa: concurrent admission to a degree program, because a certificate alone is not sufficient for F1 status
Application deadlineDeadlines will be posted on the NebraskaMATH website
The K-3 Mathematics Specialist Certificate is an 18 credit hour program.
To earn the certificate, participants must first be admitted to the program. Students will complete a 3 credit hour pre-req (MATH 800P) and then complete the five designated certificate courses, which are 3 credit hours each.
- MATH 801P: Geometry, Measurement, and Algebraic Thinking for K-3 Mathematics Specialists
- MATH 802P: Geometry, Measurement, and Algebraic Thinking II for K-3 Mathematics Specialists
- TEAC 808A: Improvement of Instruction in Elementary School Mathematics
- TEAC 808J: Improvement of Instruction in Elementary School Mathematics
- TEAC 907: Seminar in Elementary School Mathematics