Graduate Degree Program Summary
Graduate degrees offered
AreasAreas of Study
- Constitutional Law
- Criminal Law
- Entertainment and Media Law
- Environmental Studies
- Family Law
- Health Law
- Human Resources Law
- Intellectual Property
- International Human Rights
- International Law
- Labor and Employment Law
- Political Science
- Real Estate Law
- Space, Cyber and Telecommunications
- Tax Law
Application checklist and deadlines
Required by the Office of Graduate Studies
- Application for Graduate Admission
- $50 non-refundable application processing fee
- One set of transcripts, uploaded to MyRED (see transcript upload requirements)
- If your native language is not English: verification of English proficiency
- If you are not a US citizen and you expect to hold an F or J visa: financial resource information
See also: steps to admission.
Required by Legal Studies in GAMES
After you apply, allow one business day for us to establish your access to GAMES, where you'll complete these departmental requirements:
- Minimum English proficiency: Paper TOEFL 600, Internet TOEFL 100, IELTS 6.5
- Two letters of recommendation
- Department application
- Personal statement
When sending GRE or TOEFL scores, UNL's institution code is 6877 and a department code is not needed.
Application Deadlines for Legal Studies
|Fall: April 15|
Although the JD Degree is a prerequisite for practicing law, the University of Nebraska recognizes that not everyone who is interested in the law is interested in practicing law. That is why the Master of Legal Studies ("MLS") Degree Program was developed. The MLS Degree Program is designed for individuals who do not want to become practicing attorneys but who are interested in developing a better understanding of the law as it affects their non-legal careers or areas of study.
Faculty and research
Departments: Have an update for this page? Contact Stacy Dam.
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln does not discriminate based on gender, age, disability, race, color, religion, marital status, veteran's status, national or ethnic origin, or sexual orientation.