Graduate Degree Program Summary
Graduate degrees offered
- M.A.; M.S.; M.A.T.; M.Sc.T.; Ph.D.
A specialization is a well-defined area of study that will appear on your transcript with your degree and major. Specializations are optional in most UNL programs.Areas of Study
- Applied Mathematics and Mathematical Biology
- Commutative Algebra, Algebraic Geometry, and K-Theory
- Control Theory
- Differential Equations, Dynamical Systems, and Time Scales
- Discrete Mathematics and Coding Theory
- Functional Integration
- Groups, Semigroups, and Topology
- Mathematics Education
- Operator Theory and Operator Algebras
- Teaching of Middle Level Mathematics (M.A.T.and M.Sc.T)
Distance Education OpportunitiesThe M.A.T. may be completed online.
Contacts for Mathematics
On the Web
Dr. Susan Hermiller
Graduate Recruiting Chair
Dr. Mark Walker
Graduate Admissions Coordinator
Graduate Recruitment Visits Coordinator
203 Avery Hall
Lincoln NE 68588-0130
Application checklist and deadlines
Required by the Office of Graduate Studies
- Application for Graduate Admission
- $50 non-refundable application processing fee
- One set of transcripts, uploaded to MyRED (see transcript upload requirements)
- If your native language is not English: verification of English proficiency
- If you are not a US citizen and you expect to hold an F or J visa: financial resource information
See also: steps to admission.
Required by Mathematics in GAMES
After you apply, allow one business day for us to establish your access to GAMES, where you'll complete these departmental requirements:
- Entrance exam(s): GRE except for mathematics teachers pursuing the MAT degree
- Minimum English proficiency: Paper TOEFL 600, Internet TOEFL 100, IELTS 7.5
- Statement of purpose
- Three recommendation letters
When sending GRE or TOEFL scores, UNL's institution code is 6877 and a department code is not needed.
Application Deadlines for Mathematics
|For Financial Consideration||Fall: January 24|
|Otherwise||Applications received after the deadline may be considered depending upon space/funding availability.|
Students also have access to an excellent research library, a mathematical sciences database, and two computer laboratories with state-of-the-art computational facilities.
Faculty and research
Departments: Have an update for this page? Contact Stacy Dam.
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln does not discriminate based on gender, age, disability, race, color, religion, marital status, veteran's status, national or ethnic origin, or sexual orientation.