Graduate Degree Program Summary
Graduate programs offered
Earn a Graduate Degree
- DMA in Music (90 cr)
- MM in Music (30-36 cr, Option I, II, or III) with optional specialization:
- Music Education
- PhD in Music (90 cr)
Areas of Study
These informal areas of focus may help to shape your course of study but they will not appear on transcripts.
- Choral, Wind Band, and Orchestral Conducting
- Jazz Studies
- Music Education
- Music History
- Music Theory
- Piano Pedagogy
- Vocal Pedagogy
- Woodwind Specialties
Earn a Graduate Certificate
Certificates have their own deadlines and checklists; select one for details.
- Grad Cert in Music Entrepreneurship (12 cr)
Online and Distance OpportunitiesSome online coursework may be available for your program; contact dept. for details.
Application checklist and deadlines
1. Required by Graduate Studies
Submit these items as part of the standard steps to admission.
2. Required by Music
After you apply, allow one business day for us to set up your access so you can complete these requirements via MyRED.
- Entrance exam(s):
- Ph.D. Applicants: GRE
- Otherwise: None
- Minimum English proficiency:
- Master's Applicants: Paper TOEFL 550, Internet TOEFL 79, IELTS 6.5
- Doctoral Applicants: Paper TOEFL 600, Internet TOEFL 100, IELTS 7.0
- Three recommendation letters
- Audition or presentation of scholarly material
- Cover letter (Ph.D. only)
- Minimum GPA: M.M. 2.75, D.M.A. 3.25, Ph.D. 3.5
- Statement of purpose (D.M.A. and Ph.D. only)
- Written Statement of teaching philosophy (MM Option ID and MM Option II only
- Vita or resume (Ph.D. only)
- Video of teaching (Ph.D., MM Option ID, MM Option II only)
- Written exercise (D.M.A. only)
When sending GRE or TOEFL scores, Nebraska's institution code is 6877 and a department code is not needed.
Application Deadlines for Music
- For Financial Consideration: January 15 for Fall. April 1 for Summer. Priority to MM Option I and II.
- Domestic Applicants: July 1 for Fall. December 1 for Spring. May 1 for Summer.
- International Applicants: May 1 for Fall. October 1 for Spring. February 1 for Summer.
Application/admission is for entry in a specific term and year. Our academic year is divided into 3 terms: Fall (August-December), Spring (January-May), and Summer (multiple sessions May-August). Some programs accept new students only in certain terms and/or years; if your desired entry term isn't mentioned here, you may want to consult the department for clarification.
The Glenn Korff School of Music boasts a comprehensive faculty and an accommodating array of facilities. Westbrook Music Building houses a music library containing approximately 55,000 books, scores, and periodicals; 18,000 recordings; and computer listening and video booths. The Glenn Korff School of Music also maintains a music computer lab, a state-of-the-art music technology research classroom equipped with computers and software for music instruction, composition, and notation.
The performance complex consists of the Lied Center for Performing Arts, with stage dimensions sufficient for major touring production companies, and the Kimball Recital Hall. The following areas of emphasis are available for the M.M. program: performance, music education, composition, music history, music theory, orchestral/wind band/choral conducting, jazz studies, woodwind specialist, and piano pedagogy. The D.M.A. program offers emphases in performance (applied instrument or chamber music), composition, jazz studies, and conducting. The Ph.D. program is offered with an area of emphasis in music education, piano pedagogy, or vocal pedagogy. In addition, a certificate program in music entrepreneurship is available.
Courses and More
- Students work with an advisor to choose courses, create a plan of study, and follow the Steps to Degree Completion. See courses in:
- Cost of attendance differs from one student to another. Try our Cost Estimator or see Tuition, Fees, and Funding for details.
Faculty and research
Where available, faculty names link to bios or homepages and conversation icons () link to directory listings with address, phone, and email.
Conducting Practice and PedagogyD.M., Northwestern University
Brass and Percussion
TromboneD.M.A., University of Minnesota
Tuba and Euphonium-BM, University of Indiana
Percussion; Jazz Studies, University of North Texas
HornD.M., Florida State University
TrumpetD.M.A., University of Colorado
Choir, Opera, and Voice
VoiceM.M., Louisiana State University
Choral Conducting; Ethnic and World MusicD.M.A., University of Iowa
Voice; Vocal PedagogyD.M.A., Arizona State University
VoiceM.M., University of Cincinnati
VoiceD.M.A., University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Voice; OperaD.M.A., University of Illinois
Composition, History, and Theory
Music HistoryPh.D., University of Kansas
Music TheoryPh.D., University of Western Ontario
Music HistoryPh.D., Columbia University
Music History of the Early RenissancePh.D., Yale University
Music Composition; Orchestral ConductingD.M.A., Cornell University
PianoD.M., Indiana University
PianoD.M.A., Rice University
OrganD.M.A., Eastman School of Music
Piano PedagogyPh.D., Texas Tech University
Music EducationPh.D., Case Western Reserve University
Choral Music EducationPh.D., University of Missouri-Kansas City
Music Education; TechnologyPh.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison
Music Education; Assessment and Instructional StrategiesD.M.E., University of Cincinnati
Music EducationPh.D., Northwestern University
Music Education; Psychology of MusicPh.D., Florida State University
Strings and Orchestra
Cello; Artist-in-ResidenceArtist Diploma, The Juilliard School
CelloD.M.A., University of Texas at Austin
ViolinArtist Diploma, The Juilliard School
ViolinM.F.A., California Institute of the Arts
ViolaM.F.A., California Institute of the Arts
Viola; Artist-in-ResidenceArtist Diploma, The Juilliard School
Double Bass, Jazz StudiesD.M., Northwestern University
ViolinArtist Diploma, The Juilliard School
FluteD.M., Northwestern University
ClarinetD.M., Florida State University
Saxophone; Jazz and Classical StudiesD.M.A., University of Texas at Austin
BassoonD.M.A., Michigan State University
OboeD.M.A., The Julliard School