Graduate Degree Program Summary
Graduate degrees offered
- M.M.; D.M.A.; Ph.D.
A specialization is a well-defined area of study that will appear on your transcript with your degree and major. Specializations are optional in most UNL programs.Specializations
- Music Education (M.M.)
- Choral, Wind Band, and Orchestral Conducting
- Jazz Studies
- Music Education
- Music History
- Music Theory
- Piano Pedagogy
- Vocal Pedagogy
- Woodwind Specialties
Application checklist and deadlines
Required by the Office of Graduate Studies
- Application for Graduate Admission
- $50 non-refundable application processing fee
- One set of transcripts, uploaded to MyRED (see transcript upload requirements)
- If your native language is not English: verification of English proficiency
- If you are not a US citizen and you expect to hold an F or J visa: financial resource information
See also: steps to admission.
Required by Music in GAMES
After you apply, allow one business day for us to establish your access to GAMES, where you'll complete these departmental requirements:
- Entrance exam(s):
- Ph.D. Applicants: GRE
- Otherwise: None
- Minimum English proficiency:
- Master's Applicants: Paper TOEFL 550, Internet TOEFL 79, IELTS 6.5
- Doctoral Applicants: Paper TOEFL 600, Internet TOEFL 100, IELTS 7.0
- Three recommendation letters
- Audition or presentation of scholarly material
- Cover letter (Ph.D. only)
- Minimum GPA: M.M. 2.75, D.M.A. 3.25, Ph.D. 3.5
- Statement of purpose (D.M.A. and Ph.D. only)
- Written Statement of teaching philosophy (MM Option ID and MM Option II only
- Vita or resume (Ph.D. only)
- Video of teaching (Ph.D., MM Option ID, MM Option II only)
- Written exercise (D.M.A. only)
When sending GRE or TOEFL scores, UNL's institution code is 6877 and a department code is not needed.
Application Deadlines for Music
|For Financial Consideration||Fall: January 15 Summer: April 1 Priority to MM Option I and II|
|Domestic Applicants||Fall: July 1 Spring: December 1 Summer: May 1|
|International Applicants||Fall: May 1 Spring: October 1 Summer: February 1|
The Glenn Korff School of Music boasts a comprehensive faculty and an accommodating array of facilities. Westbrook Music Building houses a music library containing approximately 55,000 books, scores, and periodicals; 18,000 recordings; and computer listening and video booths. The Glenn Korff School of Music also maintains a music computer lab, a state-of-the-art music technology research classroom equipped with computers and software for music instruction, composition, and notation.
The performance complex consists of the Lied Center for Performing Arts, with stage dimensions sufficient for major touring production companies, and the Kimball Recital Hall. The following areas of emphasis are available for the M.M. program: performance, music education, composition, music history, music theory, orchestral/wind band/choral conducting, jazz studies, woodwind specialist, and piano pedagogy. The D.M.A. program offers emphases in performance (applied instrument or chamber music), composition, jazz studies, and conducting. The Ph.D. program is offered with an area of emphasis in music education, piano pedagogy, or vocal pedagogy. In addition, a certificate program in music entrepreneurship is available.
Courses and MoreStudents in Music are most likely to take courses in:
- Music Ensemble (degree credit) (MUDC)
- Music - Ensembles (MUEN)
- Music - Applied (MUAP)
- Music - Opera (MUOP)
- Music (MUSC)
- Music - Student Recitals (MUSR)
- Music Education (MUED)
- Music - Composition (MUCP)
- Music Ensemble (credit only) (MUCO)
Students will work with an advisor to create a Program of Studies or Memorandum of Courses during the first half of their coursework.
Faculty and research
Brass and Percussion
Choir, Opera, and Voice
Composition, History, and Theory
D.M.E., University of Cincinnati
Strings and Orchestra
D.M.A., University of Texas at Austin
Departments: Have an update for this page? Contact Stacy Dam.
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln does not discriminate based on gender, age, disability, race, color, religion, marital status, veteran's status, national or ethnic origin, or sexual orientation.