The Office of Graduate Studies will welcome all new graduate students to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln at its annual New Graduate Student Welcome. International graduate students are also encouraged to attend the International Graduate Student Orientation, which takes place earlier in the day.
These events will introduce students to many of the aspects of graduate student life. Following the programs, there will be a complimentary lunch (for those who register for this event), a Campus and Community Resource Fair, and optional guided tours of City Campus.
This is an opportunity to learn about the culture of graduate education, meet fellow graduate students, and collect information about campus and community services and resources.
See also: International Graduate Student Arrival Information for international students starting in spring or summer instead of fall.
Schedule for Friday, August 23, 2013
9:00 am to 10:45 am: International Graduate Student Orientation
Registration begins at 8:30 am. The International Graduate Student Orientation program begins promptly at 9:00 am.
- Welcome to UNL
- Office of Graduate Studies Welcome
- Campus Safety
- Academic Success and Integrity
- U.S. Classroom Culture and Norms
- Welcome from International Student and Scholar Office
11:00 am to 12:00 pm: New Graduate Student Welcome
- Welcome from the Office of Graduate Studies
- Welcome from the Graduate Student Association
- Transitioning to Graduate School
- Faculty Expectations of Graduate Students
- The Role of Academic Integrity in the Life of a Graduate Student
12:00 pm to 2:00 pm: Campus and Community Fair; Rotating Sessions
Campus and Community FairLocation: Nebraska Union, Centennial Room. All new domestic and international graduate students are invited to attend.
Browse the booths from various campus and community organizations to learn about their programs and services. If you register for the event, enjoy a complimentary lunch while you browse.
Booths for 2013 have not yet been finalized but here are some of the groups who've participated in prior years:
- Black Graduate Student Association
- Campus Recreation
- Career Services
- Counseling and Psychological Services
- Environmental Health and Safety
- Ethics Center
- Graduate Student Association
- Instructional Design Center
- International Student and Scholar Office
- Latino/a Graduate Student Association
- LGBTQA Resource Center
- N-Card Office
- Nebraska Alumni Association
- Office of Graduate Studies
- Office of Online and Distance Education
- Office of Research Responsibility
- Parking and Transit Services
- Student Involvement
- University Bookstore
- University Health Center
- University Police Department
- University of Nebraska Federal Credit Union
- UNL Computer and Phone Store
- UNL Libraries
- UNL Print and Copy Services
- UNL Recycling
- UNL Student Accounts
- VCSA Husker Game Day Experience
- Wells Fargo
- Women's Center and Gender Programs
Rotating Sessions - New for 2013!Location: Nebraska Union, Regency Suite (Rooms A, B, and C). All new domestic and international graduate students are invited to attend.
Sessions will begin at 12:30 pm, 1:00 pm, and 1:30 pm. Each will last approximately 30 minutes.
Representatives from specific university departments will provide new graduate students with targeted presentation on resources, policies, and procedures that are important to new graduate students.
Session titles and topics:
- Husker Resources:
- University Libraries
- Campus Rec Center
- Health Center
- Career Services
- Managing your Accounts
- Student Accounts (Tuition/Billing)
- Blackboard & My Red
- Financial Considerations
- Student Essentials
- Wells Fargo and University of Nebraska Federal Credit Union
2:00 pm to 3:00 pm: Campus Tour
A campus tour will depart from the Nebraska Union at 2:00 pm. Enjoy a walk around campus with a knowledgeable tour guide while learning interesting Husker history and facts.
7:00 pm to 9:00 pm: Evening Social - New for 2013!
Sponsored by the University of Nebraska Graduate Ambassadors
Location: Old Chicago, Haymarket. All new domestic and international graduate students are invited to attend.
Join both new and current graduate students, as well as the University of Nebraska Graduate Ambassadors at Old Chicago in Lincoln’s Haymarket District for an evening of fun and fellowship. Graduate Ambassadors will be there to answer any questions that may not have been answered earlier in the day and pizza will be provided.
For additional information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.