As you prepare to arrive on campus, there are a few things and people you need to know to ensure a smooth transition to UNL.
When will you arrive?
- If in July or August, plan to attend our Fall Welcome Events.
- If at another time of year—especially January—this page will help you get started.
Also, if you will be in Omaha for your program, contact your department to learn about check-in and access to facilities and services.
First steps: Check in
International Student and Scholar Office check-in
You should have received an email from the International Student and Scholar Office with information on registering for your Immigration Document Check-in. This check-in is required, so if you did not receive this email please contact ISSO at email@example.com or 402-472-0324.
Karen Cagley, director of ISSO, along with Kathy Singh and Stephen Mattos, ISS specialists, will aid you in starting your experience in Nebraska on the right foot. The ISSO office is on the second floor of Seaton Hall.
Office of Graduate Studies check-in
The Office of Graduate Studies is on the first floor of Seaton Hall. We'll collect any academic records that have been requested, give you access to register for classes, and provide additional information.
It's never too early in your graduate study to meet the specialist for your degree program — Eva Bachman for doctoral students and Terri Eastin for master’s students — and if you have a fellowship or assistantship you should also get to know our Fellowships and Assistantships Specialist, Jane Schneider.
The staff of the Office of Graduate Studies are here to help!
Facilities and services
Utilizing resources on campus will be integral to your success as a graduate student. You’ll learn more about getting your university identification card, known as the NCard, during your check in with Graduate Studies. Your NCard is required to gain access to the services below.
- The University Health Center provides numerous services for students. Your first contact with the Health Center should be to schedule an appointment for your Tuberculosis test and to provide documentation of immunizations.
- Take advantage of all the library resources available across campus and online.
- Stay healthy and relieve some stress at the Campus Recreation Center.
- Get your parking pass or learn more about the bus system through Parking and Transit.