Additional Resources

Random Tidbits and Little-Known Resources

  • The Intercampus shuttle operates more frequently, longer hours--and now Sundays on-demand!(like TV but free & useful)

    Check out their website or give them a call: Sunday Intercampus Service (402) 326-8807.

    The Intercampus Route is two routes that operate bidirectionally around City Campus as well as to-and-from East Campus. The UNL and StarTran busses run weekdays every 10 minutes from 7:00 am until 6:00 pm and weeknights every 20 minutes from 6:00 pm until 11:30 PM during the fall and spring semesters (except during University holiday and vacation periods).

    Additionally, a Sunday intercampus van service operates as an "on call" van service transporting faculty, staff and students between City and East Campuses. The service operates every Sunday during the fall and spring semesters from 9:00 am until 7:00 pm. To request transportation between the campuses please call (402) 326-8807.

  • Don't let dissertation get you down . . .

    Every year, the University Health Center puts together a Thesis Support Group (previously Dissertation Support Group) among other groups. It is slated to meet the following Mondays: Sept. 27, Oct. 4, and Oct. 11 from 4:00 - 5:30pm in the Nebraska Union. For more information, contact Marty Ramirez at 472-7450.

    You may also want to talk to your department or graduate chair. There might be resources within your department. If not, you can always start one yourself (let us know how it goes and we can give you extra support and publicity). Last year Graduate Connections (the quarterly newsletter produced by the Office of Graduate Studies) ran an article on how to form your own dissertation support group.

    If proofreading is your problem, there is a writing center on campus for students run by graduate and undergraduate students. It is best to make an appointment to meet with someone and go from there.

    According to Eva Bachman, the Doctoral Specialist in the Office of Graduate Studies: Proof-reading usually means hiring an editor. There are a few people around campus that will do that, including Cindy DeRyke in the EDAD office and Holly Sexton in the Neb. Ctr. for Child., Youth, Families and Schools. Both of their offices are located in the Mabel Lee/TC/Henzlik complex.

  • Need help figuring out your finances? Visit the Student Money Management Center.

    Visit their website to 1) schedule a peer-mentoring session, 2) gain access to financial education resources, and learn about skill-building workshops and events.

    The UNL Student Money Management Center is a peer financial education program. The goal of the Student Money Management Center is to help students develop ways to better manage their finances and empower them to make good financial decisions.

  • Money management is great, but I need groceries now: Foodnet!

    Foodnet is a group of volunteers trying to STOP the waste of food, and MEET all human needs. Their moto is "TUMMY FILL NOT LANDFILL". No one in Lincoln, Nebraska should go hungry.

    Foodnet provides mostly perishable foods (donated by local grocery stores and food suppliers) such as fruits, vegetables, dairy products, bread, etc.

    Anyone that is in need of food is welcome to pick up from any site. There are no qualifications, no forms, no income guidelines, and no limits on how many times you visit the sites. There are a pick-up sites open every day of the week.

    Visit their website for more information including pickup sites and times.

  • How do I get free or really cheap lunch while dining out close to campus? The Table at Indigo Bridge in the Haymarket

    The Table is dedicated to inclusive dining, wholesome food, and authentic community.

    There are no prices at the table. Simply donate what you are able, or what you would like to pay. Or “pay it forward” with an hour of service to the community, either with us or elsewhere.

    The fare is healthy, delicious, and fresh. Thé Cup provides the soup and Bread & Cup provides the bread. Both of these local restaurants are known for their delicious food and socially-conscious business ethics. Indigo Bridge, the bookstore which provides the space, is yet another community-friendly local vendor. Sounds like Soul Food to me!

    Open every weekday, 11:30 am - 1:30 pm, at 701 P Street in the Haymarket. They would also love volunteers to help serve soup and bread, help with dishes, or even sit at the table and be there to talk with whomever might come in!

    Visit The Table's website for more information including daily menu.

  • Free Legal Aid for Students

    Bet you didn't know that your student fees pays to keep 2 lawyers on campus just for student use!

    "Student Legal Services (SLS) is a program of ASUN and is funded completely by student fees. SLS offers free legal advice or representation to registered UNL students."

    UNL Student Legal Services (SLS) is located on the downtown campus in room 335 of the Student Union. Visit their website or give them a call at (402) 472-3350. Hours of operation: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

  • Counseling and Psychology Services offers a free online screening and even couples counseling!

    From the screening website: These free screenings are made available to all UNL students and are taken anonymously. The screenings are provided so that you may find out whether or not professional consultation would be helpful.

    For Couples Counceling: counseling is free for both parties if they come in simultaneously, as long as one of the two is a student. (Reminder: All CAPS services are confidential.)

    All registered students at UNL are eligible for services. The first 3 counseling/psychotherapy sessions are at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE. If you are enrolled in the Healthy Option Student Insurance Plan (many grads are), almost all services are free! Find out more about their costs & services.

    CAPS is available on City Campus Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Call (402)-472-7450 for appointment or drop by room 213 (second floor). We're also available on East Campus in the East Campus Union by appointment only. Visit the CAPS website for more information.

  • Free HIV Testing

    From the HIV Testing website: The Centers for Disease Control recommends HIV testing for everyone ages 13 to 64 as a part of your routine healthcare, regardless of risk. The University Health Center offers confidential, free HIV testing and counseling for any fee paying UNL student.

    UNL Health Center is located at 1500 U Street on City Campus. Visit the UHC website or give them a call at (402) 472-5000. Hours of operation: 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, hours vary on Saturday. You can also do a lot of cool things online at the UHC Patient Portal.

  • Secret parking passes for East-Campus only students

    If you can prove to student transportation that your classes are all on East Campus, you can get a parking pass even after they say they're all sold out!

    During or after the first week of school, bring your schedule of classes into the transportation office and tell them you want a parking pass for East Campus only. Since a TON of students want to park on City Campus, the general parking passes sell out very quickly, but a lot of space is left over on East Campus. This was un-officially stated by a UNL Transportation Official at an ASUN meeting, so call ahead to confirm that a manager/higher-up employee is in the office before you go--student workers might not have any clue about this!

    UNL Parking & Transit Services are located on the southwest corner of the Memorial Stadium Parking Garage. There is no mention of this permit, but feel free to visit their website or give them a call at (402) 472-1800. Hours of operation: 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.