David A. Covey, Associate Professor
David A. Covey
UNMC College of Dentistry
University of Nebraska–Lincoln
Rm. 123, 40th & Holdrege St.
Lincoln, Nebraska 68583-0740
We have a research group that has a primary focus on the science of dental materials. The demand for esthetic dental materials has never been greater and research and development of more predictable and longer lasting dental materials is at an all-time high. The introduction of these new materials requires laboratory and clinical research on the safety, efficacy and various behavioral properties of these materials.
Examples of the types of research our team conducts on dental materials: Surface roughness, Gloss, Color, Mechanical properties, Bonding properties, Bonding properties, Surface Hardness, Interface MIcroleakage
Types of dental materials our research team evaluate: Dental amalgam, Composite resins, Glass ionomer cements, Implants, Ceramics
- Covey DA, Barnes CM, Watanabe H, and Johnson WW. Effects of a paste-free prophylaxis polishing cup and various prophylaxis polishing pastes on enamel and restorative materials, General Dentistry, 2011.
- Barnes, CM, Covey DA, Shi X, Yankell S. “Laboratory evaluation of a bi-level, extremely tapered bristled toothbrush and a conventional uniform bristled toothbrush,” American Journal of Dentistry, 22:84-88, 2009.
- Watanabe, H. and Covey, DA. “Esthetic restorative material shade changes due to photopolymerization,” General Dentistry, 56(3):260-266, 2008.
- Johnson, W.W., Barnes, C.M., Covey, D.A., Walker, M, P., Ross, J.A. AThe effects of a commercial aluminum air polishing powder on dental restorative materials,@ J Pros, 13:166-172, 2004.
- Jarrett, I.S., Marx, D. Covey, D., Karmazin, M., Lavin, M., Gound, T. “Percentage of canals filled in apical cross-sections - an in vitro study of seven obturation techniques.” International Endodontic Journal, 37(6):392-8, 2004.
- Brackett, W.W., Covey, D.A., Haisch, L.D.: The Effect of Elevate Temperatures on the Dentin Adhesion of Resin Composites. Oper Dent, 28(3):303-306, 2003.
- Barnes, C.M., Covey, D.A., Walker, M.P.: Maintenance of the Esthetic Integrity of Dental Restorations, RDH, 23(3), 2003.
- Barnes, C.M., Covey, D.A., Walker, M.P., Johnson, W.W.: Essential selective polishing: The maintenance of aesthetic restorations. JPH, 12(5):18-24, 2003.
- Barnes, C. Covey, D., Johnson, W. And St. Germain, H. AMaintaining Restorations for Senior Dental Patients,@ J Pract Hygiene Nov/Dec:27-29, 2003.
- Brackett, W.W., Covey, D. A., and St. Germain, Jr., H, A.: One-year Clinical Performance of a Self-etching Adhesive in Class V Resin Composites Cured by two methods. Oper Dent, 27:218-222, 2002.
- Covey, D.A., and Ewoldsen, N.O. Porosity in Manually and Machine Mixed Resin Modified Glass Ionomer Cements. Oper Dent 26(6):617-623, 2001.
- Brackett, W.W., Covey, D. A., and St. Germain, Jr., H,A.: One-year Clinical Performance of a Self-etching Adhesive in Class V Resin Composite Cured with Soft-start or High-intensity Polymerization. Oper Dent, In Press, 2001.
- Brackett, W. and Covey, D.A., Resistance to Condensation of Condensable Resin Composites as Evaluated by a Mechanical Test. Oper Dent 25:424-426, 2000.
- Brackett, W., Haisch, L. and Covey, D.A., Effect of Plasma Arc Curing on the Microleakage of Class V Resin Based Composite Restorations. Am J Dent 13:121-122, 2000.
- Covey, D.A., Kent, D. St. Germain, H. and Koka, S. The Effects of Abutment Size and Luting Cement Type on the Uniaxial Retention Force of Implant-Supported Crowns. J Prosthet Dent 83:344-344, 2000.
- Covey, D.A., Kent, D. and Koka, Qualitative and Quantitative Determination of Dental Amalgam Restoration Volume. J Prosthet Dent 82:8-14, 1999.