Dr. Larsen’s group works on a variety of projects related to catalysis, adsorption, and materials design. We currently have six major areas of research in our laboratory:
- Partial oxidation reactions over hybrid (organic/inorganic) Ti-containing gels;
- Synthesis of inorganic oxide materials with tailored porosities and well-defined
(catalytically active)metal particle sizes using macromolecular templates;
- Design of zeolite- and amorphous silica/cellulose composites for separation applications;
- Molecularly imprinted inorganic, and hybrid (organic/inorganic) oxides;
- Design of macroporous supports for immobilized enzymes utilized in reactions
involving bulky biomolecules; · Design of catalytic nanofibers based on electrospinning of sol-gels.
- Noriega, S. E., Hasanova, G. I., Schneider, M. J., Larsen, G. and Subramanian, A., “Effect of Fiber Diameter on the Spreading, Proliferation and Differentiation of Chondrocytes on Electrospun Chitosan Matrices”, Cells, Tissues & Organs 195, 207-221 (2012).
- Mansilla E., Díaz Aquino V., Zambón D., Martire K., Marín G., Roque G., Drago H., Sturla F., Ichim T., Nuñez L., Larsen G., Riordan N., Spretz R., van Leeuwen M., Tau J.M., Soratti C., Ibar R., Maceira A., “Could Metabolic Syndrome, Lipodystrophy, and Aging Be Mesenchymal Stem Cell Exhaustion Syndromes?”, Stem Cells Int. 2011, published online May 2011, Article ID 943216, (2011).
- Marin, G. H., E. Mansilla, N. Mezzaroba, S. Zorzet, L. Nunez, G. Larsen, J. M. Tau, A. Maceira, R. Spretz, C. Mertz, S. Ingrao, C. Tripodo, F. Tedesco, and P. Macor. “Exploratory study on the effects of biodegradable nanoparticles with drugs on malignant B cells and on a human/mouse model of Burkitt lymphoma”, Curr Clin Pharmacol 5, 246 (2010).
- M. Skotak and G. Larsen, "Visible Light Absorbing Biocompatible Oligomers Based on L-lactide and Aminosugars: Preparation and Characterization", Polymer Int. 59, 1331–1338 (2010).
- Skotak, M., Noriega, S., Larsen, G. and Subramanian, A., “Electrospun cross-linked gelatin fibers with controlled diameter: The effect of matrix stiffness on proliferative and biosynthetic activity of chondrocytes cultured in vitro”, J. Biomed. Mat. Res. A 95(3), 828 (2010).
- M. Skotak and G. Larsen, “Co-solvent Mediated Fiber Diameter and Fiber Morphology Control in Electrospinning of Sol-Gel Formulations”, J. non-Cryst. Sol. 354, 5547 (2008).
- M. Skotak, A. P. Leonov, G. Larsen, S. Noriega and S. Subramanian, “Biocompatible and Biodegradable Ultrafine Fibrillar Scafold Materials for Tissue Engineering by Facile Grafting of L-lactide onto Chitosan”, Biomacromol. 9, 1902-1908 (2008).
- M. Skotak and G. Larsen, “Solution Chemistry Control to Make Well Defined Submicron Continuous Fibers by Electrospinning: The (CH3CH2CH2O)4Ti/AcOH/Poly(n-Vinyl Pyrrolidone) System”, J. Mat. Chem. 16, 3031 (2006).
- "Synthesis and Evaluation of Scaffolds for Potential Use in Cartilage Tissue Engineering," A. Subramanian, H. Lin, D. Vu, and G. Larsen, J. Biomat.Sci.-Polym.,Ed 16, 861 (2005).
- "Electrohydrodynamics and Hierarchical Structure Control: Submicron-thick Silica Ribbons with an Ordered Hexagonal Mesoporous Structure," G. Larsen, R. Spretz, and R. Velarde-Ortiz; J. Mater. Chem., 14, 2372 (2004).
- "Synthesis and evaluation of scaffolds prepared from chitosan fibers for potential use in cartilage tissue engineering," A. Subramanian, H. Lin, G. Larsen, and D. Vu, Biomed. Sci. Instrum., 40, 117 (2004).
- "Electrically Forced Coaxial Nanojets for One-Step Hollow Nanofiber Design," I. G. Loscertales, A. Barrero, M. Marquez, R. Spretz, R. Velarde-Ortiz, and G. Larsen, J. Amer. Chem. Soc., 126, 5376 (2004).
- "Templating of inorganic and organic solids with electrospun fibres for the synthesis of large-pore materials with near-cylindrical pores," G. Larsen, R. Spretz and R. Velarde-Ortiz, J. Mat. Chem., 14, 1533 (2004).
- "Use of Coaxial Gas Jackets to Stabilize Taylor Cones of Volatile Solutions and to Induce Particle-to-Fiber Transitions," G. Larsen, R. Spretz and R. Velarde-Ortiz, Adv. Mater., 16, 166 (2004).
- I. G. Loscertales, A. Barrero, M. Marquez, R. Spretz, R. Velarde-Ortiz and G. Larsen, “Electrically Forced Coaxial Nanojets for One-Step Hollow Nanofiber Design”, J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 126, 5376 (2004).
- G. Larsen, R. V.-Ortiz, K. Minchow, A. Barrero and I. G. Loscertales, “A Method for Making Inorganic and Hybrid (Organic/Inorganic) Fibers and Vesicles in the Micrometer and Sub-Micrometer Range via Sol-Gel Chemistry and Electrically Forced Liquid Jets”, J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 125, 1154 (2003).
- D. Vu, M. Marquez and G. Larsen, “A Facile Method to Deposit Zeolites Y and L onto Cellulose Fibers”, Microp. & Mesop. Mater. 55, 93 (2002).
- G. Larsen, and R. Velarde-Ortiz, “A poly(propylene)imine (DAB-Am-64) Dendrimer as Cu2+ Chelator for the Synthesis of Copper Oxide Clusters Embedded in Sol-gel Derived Matrices”, Chem. Mater. 14, 858 (2002).
- G. Larsen, D. Vu, R. Venturini de Silva and H. S. Silva, “A Study of Cyclohexane Diffusion in Hybrid (Organic/Inorganic) Gels Monitored by an Oscillating Balance Reactor”, J. Coll. Int. Sci. 245, 402 (2002).
- Lucia M. Petkovic, Ph. D. Chemical Engineering, UNL (2001), Currently a Staff Scientist at the INEEL DOE Laboratory, Idaho Falls, Idaho.
- Edgar Lotero, Ph.D. Chemistry, UNL (2002), Currently a Postdoctoral Associate at Clemson University, Department of Chemical Engineering.