Professor Rajca’s research area of interest is organic chemistry with emphasis on novel materials with magnetic, conducting, and optical properties. Understanding of fundamental aspects of electronic structure and its dependence on the size ranging from fraction of nanometer to several nanometers is the underlying theme of many projects in this research group.
Currently, their focus is on the design and synthesis of stable high-spin polyradicals. Following the design principles developed for the polyarylmethyls, they are working on syntheses of high-spin polynitroxides and other polyradicals stable at ambient condition. They are in search for macrocyclic cores and linkers that are promising building blocks for preparation of organic polymer magnets with improved ordering temperature and stability at ambient conditions (“plastic magnets”).
Their efforts are aimed at the synthesis and study of chiral ?-conjugated molecules and polymers, precursors to organic chiral semiconductors/conductors and materials for chiral waveguides. The target molecules include molecules related to a hypothetical allotrope of carbon (3-dimensional graphite) and sulfocarbons (CnSm). A number of chiral organic molecules with interesting molecular structure and properties are being prepared in this research group.
112. Joseph T. Paletta, Maren Pink, Bridget Foley, Suchada Rajca, Andrzej Rajca , “Synthesis and Reduction Kinetics of Sterically Shielded Pyrrolidine Nitroxides”, Org. Lett., 2012, 14, 5322–5325. DOI:10.1021/ol302506f
111. Andrzej Rajca, Ying Wang, Michael Boska, Joseph T. Paletta, Arnon Olankitwanit, Michael A. Swanson, Deborah G. Mitchell, Sandra S. Eaton, Gareth R. Eaton, Suchada Rajca,“Organic Radical Contrast Agents for Magnetic Resonance Imaging”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2012, 134, 15724–15727.
DOI:10.1021/ja3079829, [JACS In C&EN]
110. Makoto Miyasaka, Maren Pink, Arnon Olankitwanit, Suchada Rajca, Andrzej Rajca, “Band Gap of Carbon-Sulfur [n]Helicenes”, Org. Lett., 2012, 14, 3076–3079. DOI:10.1021/ol3011437.
Highlighted in Synfacts: Timothy M. Swager, Gregory D. Gutierrez, Synfacts, 2012, 8 0964. DOI: 10.1055/s-0032-1317089
109. Andrzej Rajca, Przemyslaw J. Boratynski, Arnon Olankitwanit, Kouichi Shiraishi, Maren Pink, Suchada Rajca , “Ladder Oligo(m-aniline)s: Derivatives of Azaacenes with Cross-Conjugated π-Systems”, J. Org. Chem., 2012, 77, 2107–2120 (Featured Article). DOI: 10.1021/jo2025948.
Highlighted in Synfacts: Timothy M. Swager, John B. Goods, Synfacts, 2012, 8 0502. DOI: 10.1055/s-0031-1290840
108. Andrzej Rajca, Kouichi Shiraishi, Przemyslaw J. Boratynski, Maren Pink, Makoto Miyasaka, Suchada Rajca, “Oxidation of Annelated Diarylamines: Analysis of Reaction Pathways to Nitroxide Diradical and Spirocyclic Products”, J. Org. Chem., 2011, 76, 8447–8457. DOI: 10.1021/jo2017923
107. Arnon Olankitwanit, Velavan Kathirvelu, Suchada Rajca, Gareth R. Eaton, Sandra S. Eaton, Andrzej Rajca, “Calixarene nitroxide tetraradical and octaradical”, Chem. Commun., 2011, 47, 6443–6445. DOI: 10.1039/C1CC11172H [From collection Supramolecular Chemistry]
106. Andrzej Rajca, Arnon Olankitwanit, Suchada Rajca, “Triplet Ground State Derivative of Aza-m-Xylylene Diradical with Large Singlet-Triplet Energy Gap”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2011, 133, 4750–4753. DOI:10.1021/ja200708b
104. Przemyslaw J. Boratynski, Maren Pink, Suchada Rajca, Andrzej Rajca, “Isolation of the Triplet Ground State Aminyl Diradical”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2010, 49, 5459–5462. DOI:10.1002/anie.201002811
103. Makoto Miyasaka, Maren Pink, Suchada Rajca, Andrzej Rajca, “Spiro Oligothiophenes”, Org. Lett., 2010, 12, 3230–3233. DOI:10.1021/ol1011696. Highlighted in Synfacts: Timothy M. Swager, Joel Batson, Synfacts, 2010, 1136-1136. DOI: 10.1055/s-0030-1258632
102. Andrzej Rajca, Velavan Kathirvelu, Sandip K. Roy, Maren Pink, Suchada Rajca, Santanu Sarkar, Sandra S. Eaton, Gareth R. Eaton, “A Spirocyclohexyl Nitroxide Amino Acid Spin Label for Pulsed EPR Spectroscopy Distance Measurements”, Chem. Eur. J., 2010, 16, 5778–5782. DOI:10.1002/chem.200903102
101. Jerzy K. Zak, Makoto Miyasaka, Suchada Rajca, Mieczyslaw Lapkowski, Andrzej Rajca, “Radical Cation of Helical, Cross-Conjugated β-Oligothiophene”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2010, 132, 3246–3247. DOI: 10.1021/ja910076n
A. Rajca, S. Rajca, “Asymmetric Synthesis of Chiral Tetraphenylenes” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2010, 49, 672 – 674.
A. Rajca, V. Kathirvelu, S. K. Roy, M. Pink, S. Rajca, S. Sarkar, S. S. Eaton, G. R. Eaton, “A Spirocyclohexyl Nitroxide Amino Acid Spin Label for EPR Distance Measurements” Chem. Eur. J. 2010, 16, 5778 – 5782.
J. K. Zak, M. Miyasaka, S. Rajca, M. Lapkowski, A. Rajca, “Radical Cation of Helical, Cross-Conjugated ?–Oligothiophene” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2010, 132, 3246 – 3247.
P. J. Boraty?ski, M. Pink, S. Rajca, A. Rajca, “Isolation of S = 1 Ground State Aminyl Diradical”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2010, 49, 5459 – 5462.
M. Miyasaka, M. Pink, S. Rajca, A. Rajca, “Spiro Oligothiophenes“ Org. Lett. 2010, 12, 3230 – 3233.
A. Rajca, J. Wongsriratanakul, S. Rajca, “Magnetic Ordering in an Organic Polymer.” Science 2001, 294, 1503 – 1505.
A. Rajca, "Organic Di? and Polyradicals. From Spin Coupling to Magnetism?" Chem. Rev. 1994, 94, 871 – 893.
- Kausik Das PhD 2007 Streck Laboratories, Omaha, Nebraska
- Sumit Mukherjee PhD 2006 University of Wisconsin-Madison