My research interests are in the field of ion beam processing and nanostructured thin film fabrication for optical, electromechanical, and magnetic device applications. The research is currently focused on synthesis of novel nanostructured chiral hybrid materials with the goal to develop concepts for technological exploitation of physical and chemical properties related to the unique material structure and morphology.
Physical vapor deposition (ion beam sputtering, electron beam evaporation) is used for material fabrication and a major part of research is to characterize and understand the deposition process by using in-situ process monitoring such as electrical measurements, energy resolved mass spectroscopy or spectroscopic ellipsometry.
Chiral materials have an obvious structural relationship to mechanical springs and to electrical coils. The goal of my research is to combine chiral structure properties with intrinsic material properties such as dielectricity, piezoelectricity, ferroelectricity, ferro-magnetism or elasticity and to manipulate the optical, electromagnetic or mechanical behavior by changing the chiral material structure on the nanoscale. Concepts for reversible tuning of properties, which significantly contribute to the improvement of the material functionality, will be studied. Specifically, new designs for magnetic storage media and electromagnetic (terahertz) sensors are in the focus of investigation.
- K. B. Rodenhausen, D. Schmidt, T. Kasputis, A. K. Pannier, E. Schubert, and M. Schubert, “Generalized ellipsometry in-situ quantification of organic adsorbate attachment within slanted columnar thin films”, Opt. Express 20, 5419 (2012).
- R. Skomski, Z. Li, R. Zhang, R. D. Kirby, A. Enders, D. Schmidt, T. Hofmann, E. Schubert, and D. J. Sellmyer, „Nanomagnetic Skymions“, J. Appl. Phys. 111, (2012).
- Selected for publication in Vir. J. Nan. Sci. Tech. 25/4 D. Schmidt, E. Schubert, and M. Schubert, “Optical properties of cobalt slanted columnar thin films passivated by atomic layer deposition”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 011912 (2012).
- D. Schmidt, E. Schubert, and M. Schubert, „Aging Effects of As-deposited and Passivated Cobalt Slanted Columnar Thin Films“, Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 1409, CC13-31 (2012).
- D. Schmidt, C. Briley, E. Schubert, and M. Schubert, „Vector Magneto-Optical Generalized Ellipsometry on Passivated Permalloy Slanted Columnar Thin Films“, Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 1408, BB15-19 (2012).
- T. Hofmann, D. Schmidt, A. Boosalis, P. Kühne, C. Herzinger, J. Woollam, E. Schubert, and M. Schubert, „Metal slanted columnar thin film THz optical sensors“, Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 1409, CC13-17 (2012).
E. Schubert, F. Frost, H. Neumann, B. Rauschenbach, B. Fuhrmann, F. Heyroth, J. Rivory, E. Charron, B. Gallas and M. Schubert, “Ion beam assisted growth of sculptured thin films: Structural alignment and optical fingerprints”, Adv. Solid State Phys. 46, 309 (2007).
E. Schubert, “Sub-wavelength antireflection coatings from sculptured thin films”, Contrib. Plasma Phys. 47, 545 (2007).
E. Schubert, J, Fahlteich, B. Rauschenbach, M. Schubert, M. Lorenz, M. Grundmann, and G. Wagner, “Recrystallisation behaviour of sculptured thin films from silicon”, J. Appl. Phys. 100 (2006).
E. Schubert, F. Frost, N. Razek, D. Hirsch, A. Schindler, and B. Rauschenbach, “Surface cleaning of GaAs by low-energy hydrogen ion-bombardment”, J. Appl. Phys. 97, 54 (2005).
E. Schubert, F. Frost, Th. Höche, and B. Rauschenbach, “Nanostructure fabrication by glancing angle ion beam assisted deposition of silicon”, App. Phys. A 81, 481 (2005).
E. Schubert, F. Frost, B. Ziberi, G. Wagner, H. Neumann, B. Rauschenbach, “Ion beam sputter deposition of soft x-ray Mo/Si multilayer mirrors”, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 23, 959-965 (2005).
E. Franke, M. Schubert, J.A. Woollam, J.-D. Hecht, G. Wagner, H. Neumann, F. Bigl, “In-situ ellipsometry growth characterization of dual ion beam deposited boron nitride thin films”, J. Appl. Phys., 87, 2593 (2000).
E. Franke, C.L. Trimble, J.S. Hale, M.Schubert, J.A. Woollam, “Solid state electrochromic reflectance device for emittance modulation in the infrared spectral region”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 77, 930 (2000).