Dr. Jeff Shield, Professor and Chair
Mechanical & Materials Engineering
University of Nebraska - Lincoln
W339 Nebraska Hall
Lincoln, Nebraska 68588-0526
office: (402) 472-2378
The primary objective of Dr. Shield’s research program is to understand and control the microstructural evolution of materials during processing. Rapid solidification processing is of particular interest, as are nanostructured functional materials. Recent work is directed in the general area of high energy permanent magnets and studying the interfacial effects in exchange spring and exchange bias systems. Characterization specialties include electron microscopy and x-ray scattering techniques.
. P.M. Shand, D.C. Schmitter, G. Rojas, J.E. Shield, J. Goertzen, A.L. Meyer, T.M. Pekarek, M.J. Kramer, D.L. Leslie-Pelecky, “Correlating Structure with Ferromagnetism in Melt-Spun Gd100-xFe,” J. Alloys and Compounds 509, 3000 (2011).
2. Tanjore V. Jayaraman, Laura Boone, Jeffrey E. Shield, “Near room temperature magnetic entropy changes in as-cast Gd100−xMnx (x = 0, 5, 10, 15, and 20 at.%) alloys,” J. Alloys and Compounds 509, 1411 (2011).
3. X. Wei, D. LeRoy, R. Skomski, X.Z. Li, Z. Sun, J.E. Shield, M.J. Kramer and D.J. Sellmyer, “Structure and Magnetism of MnAu Nanoclusters,” J. Appl. Phys. 109, 07B523 (2011).
4. B.Balamurugan, R. Skomski, X.Z. Li, V.R. Shah, G.C. Hadjipanayis, J.E. Shield and D.J. Sellmyer, “Magnetism of Cluster-deposited Y-Co Nanoparticles, J. Appl. Phys. 109, 07A707 (2011).
5. A. Kashyap, R. Skomski, P. Manchanda, J.E. Shield and D.J. Sellmyer, “Layered transition-metal permanent-magnet structures,” J.Appl. Phys. 109, 07A714 (2011).
6. T.V. Jayaraman, M. Koten and J.E. Shield, “Near room temperature magnetocaloric properties of melt-spun Gd100-xBx (x = 0, 5, 10, 15, & 20 at. %) alloys,” J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 323, 2037 (2011).
7. B. Balasubramanian, R. Skomski, X. Li, S. Valloppilly, J.E. Shield, G.C. Hadjipanayis, D.J. Sellmyer, “Cluster Synthesis and Direct Ordering of Rare-Earth Transition-Metal Nanomagnets,” Nano Letters 11, 1747-1752 (2011).
8. A. Kashyap, P. Manchanda, P. K. Sahota, R. Skomski, J. E. Shield, D. J. Sellmyer, "Anisotropy of W in Fe and Co", IEEE Trans. Magn. 47 (10) 3336-3339 (2011).
9. R. Skomski, J. E. Shield and D. J. Sellmyer, "An Elemental Question," Magnetics Technology International, UKIP Media & Events, Ltd., p. 26-29 (2011).
10. R. Zhou, X. Wei, K. He, J.E. Shield, D.J. Sellmyer and X.C. Zeng, “Theoretical and Experimental Characterization of Structures of MnAu Nanoclusters in the Size Range of 1-3 nm,” ACS Nano 5, 9966 (2011).
11. T. Jayaraman and J.E. Shield, “Directional Annealing Studies on Rapidly Solidified Sm-Co-Nb-C Alloys,” Acta Materialia 60, 1184-1192 (2012).
12. E. Folcke, R. Lardé, J.M. Le Breton, M. Gruber, F. Vurpillot, J.E. Shield, X. Rui, M.M. Patterson, “Laser-assisted atom probe tomography investigation of magnetic FePt nanoclusters: First experiments,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds 517, 40-44 (2012).
13. F. Golkar, M.J. Kramer, Y. Zhang, R.W. McCallum, R. Skomski, D.J. Sellmyer and J.E. Shield, “Structure and Magnetic Properties of Co-W Clusters Produced by Inert Gas Condensation,” J. Appl. Phys. 111, 07B524 (2012).
14. R. Skomski, B. Balamurugan, T.A. George, M. Chipara, X. Wei, J.E. Shield and D.J. Sellmyer, “Hysteresis and Relaxation in Granular Permanent Magnets,” J. Appl. Phys. 111, 07B507 (2012).
15. P. Mukherjee, Y. Zhang, M.J. Kramer, L.H. Lewis and J.E. Shield, “L10 Structure Formation in Slow-cooled Fe-Au Nanoclusters,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 222405 (2012).
16. W. Zhang, S.R. Valloppilly, X.Z. Li, R. Skomski, J.E. Shield and D.J. Sellmyer, “Coercivity Enhancement in Zr2Co11-Based Nanocrystalline Materials Due to Mo Addition,” IEEE Trans. Magn. 48, 3603-3605 (2012).
17. X. Jiang and J.E. Shield, “Combined effects of chromium and carbon on phase formation and magnetic behavior of melt-spun Sm–Co magnets,” Journ. Magn. Magn. Mater. 333, 63-68 (2013).
18. Bin Yang, Zhengguo Xiao, Yongbo Yuan, Tanjore V. Jayaraman, Jeffrey E. Shield, Ralph Skomski and Jinsong Huang, “Room-temperature organic ferromagnetism in the crystalline poly(3-hexylthiophene): Phenyl-C61-butyric acid methyl ester blend film,” Polymer 54, 490-494 (2013).
X. Rui, Z. Sun, R. Skomski, Y. Xu, D.J. Sellmyer, Y.Q. Wu, M.J. Kramer and J.E. Shield, "Intra-cluster Exchange-coupled High Performance Permanent Magnets," J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 320, 2576 (2008). J. Kostogorova-Beller, M.J. Kramer and J.E. Shield, "Studies of Order-Disorder Phase Transformations in Rare Earth-Transition Metal Intermetallics with 2-17 Stoichiometry," J. Mater. Res. 23, 2886 (2008).
J. Kostogorova-Beller, M.J. Kramer and J.E. Shield, "Phase Formation in Rapidly Solidified R2T17 Intermetallics," J. Alloys and Cmpds 463,207 (2008).
M.A. Morales, R. Skomski, S. Fritz, G. Shelburne, J.E. Shield, Min Ying, Stephen O'Brien, and D.L. Leslie-Pelecky, "Surface Anisotropy and Magnetic Freezing of MnO Nanoparticles," Phys. Rev. B 75, 134423-1344237 (2007).
J. Kostogorova-Beller and J.E. Shield, "Order-Disorder Transformations in Sm-Co and Sm-Co-Zr-C Systems with 2-17 Stoichiometry," J. Appl. Phys. 101, 09K521 (2007).
X. Rui, Z Sun, Y. Xu, D.J. Sellmyer and J.E. Shield, "In-cluster-structured exchange-coupled magnets with high energy densities." Appl. Phys. Lett. 89, 122509 (2006).