Types of Money Coaching Sessions
|Personalized One-on-One Sessions||Around 30 minutes||Make an Appointment||Request an Appointment|
|Personalized Email Advising Sessions||Reply sent within 48 hours||Email Us Your Questions||Email Form|
|Money 101 Boot Camp||1 hour||Gain basic money management knowledge||Schedule|
|Dave Ramsey Program||On your own time||A comprehensive financial education program||Schedule|
Types of One-on-One Sessions
There are 2 types of sessions:
Financial Education Sessions
For students wishing to gain financial information that will help them better manage their financial lives.
For students with specific financial issues that need help finding solutions.
You have the choice to meet with either:
A Professional Money Coach
A financial professional who has been certified by the Association for Financial Counseling, Planning, & Education
A Peer Money Coach
A current UNL student who has been trained in financial education and mentoring
Common Session Topics
- Spending Plans
- Financial Goals
- Organizing Finances
- Establishing Credit
- Saving Money
- Debt Repayment
- Investment Education
- Moving Off Campus
- Understanding Financial Aid
- Selecting Employee Benefits
- Major Purchases
Common Student Questions
- I can't control my spending. I have no plan for my money. I need help budgeting my money.
- My financial life is disorganized. I need to get my finances on track.
- I have questions about my financial aid and how I should wisely manage my financial aid.
- I have questions about credit - should I get a credit card and how do I choose a credit card.
- I want to know why credit scores are so important and how I can build a good credit score.
- I'm in debt. I need help figuring out how to manage and eliminate my debt.
- I need help figuring out how many hours I should work.
- I need help setting up a plan for how to save money to reach my goals.
- I need help figuring out if I can afford a study abroad trip.
- I want to learn more about investing and determine if I'm ready to start investing.
- I need help choosing my employer benefits - 401K, insurance, etc.
What SMMC representatives CAN'T Help With
SMMC representatives cannot do the following:
- Do financial tasks for you
- Make financial decisions for you
- Sell financial products or services during sessions
- Venture into money management education areas beyond the scope of the University of Nebraska Student Money Management Program
Personalized Coaching Session Topics
|Note:||You can choose as many session topics as you wish. We can cover all the information you need in one session.|
|Creating Your Personal
|Get your financial life on track by setting financial goals, creating a spending plan, and learning how to manage credit & debt||Request this Session||Session FAQ|
|Building Good Credit||Learn the keys to good credit management, including understanding your credit score||Request this Session||Session FAQ|
|Managing Debt &
Getting Out of Debt
|Learn how to successfully manage student loans, credit cards, and other types of debt, including creating a debt repayment plan||Request this Session||Session FAQ|
|Making Good Financial Decisions||Learn what factors to consider before you make major financial purchases, including mortgages, loans, personal loans, and insurance||Request this Session||Session FAQ|
|Moving Off Campus||Get assistance with developing an off-campus budget and choosing an affordable housing option.||Request this Session||Session FAQ|
|How to Pay for College||Learn how to get & manage student loans, including creating a debt repayment plan, and the importance of balancing work and school||Request this Session||Session FAQ|
|Building Wealth||Learn the basics of saving & investing, including investment options, and identify if you are ready to start investing||Request this Session||Session FAQ|
|Preparing for Life After College||Prepare for life after graduation ? Learn important money management information to help you jumpstart your financial success||Request this Session||Session FAQ|
|In-Depth Personal Help:
Get Assistance Problem-Solving Specific Financial Problems
|Let us know what specific financial challenges you are encountering and we will help you find solutions to overcome your challenges, including helping you create an action plan for success||Request this Session||Session FAQ|