Types of Money Management Sessions
|Personalized One-on-One Sessions||Around 30 minutes||Make an Appointment||Request an Appointment|
|Financial Boot Camp:
Dave Ramsey Program
|5 - 1 hour sessions||A comprehensive financial education program||Schedule|
|Mini Financial Boot Camp:
|1 hour||Gain basic money management knowledge||Schedule|
|Personalized Email Advising Sessions||Reply sent within 48 hours||Email Us Your Questions||Email Form|
Types of One-on-One Sessions
There are 2 types of sessions:
Financial Education SessionsFor students wishing to gain financial information that will help them better manage their financial lives.
Problem-Solving SessionsFor students with specific financial issues that need help finding solutions.
You have the choice to meet with either:
An Accredited Financial CounselorA financial professional who has been certified by the Association for Financial Counseling, Planning, & Education
A Money Management MentorA current UNL student who has been trained in financial education and mentoring
Common Session Topics
- Spending Plans
- Financial Goals
- Organizing Finances
- Establishing Credit
- Saving Money
- Debt Repayment
- Investment Education
- Understanding Financial Aid
- Selecting Employee Benefits
- Major Purchases
Common Student Questions
- I can't control my spending. I have no plan for my money. I need help budgeting my money.
- My financial life is disorganized. I need to get my finances on track.
- I have questions about my financial aid and how I should wisely manage my financial aid.
- I have questions about credit - should I get a credit card and how do I choose a credit card.
- I want to know why credit scores are so important and how I can build a good credit score.
- I'm in debt. I need help figuring out how to manage and eliminate my debt.
- I need help figuring out how many hours I should work.
- I need help setting up a plan for how to save money to reach my goals.
- I need help figuring out if I can afford a study abroad trip.
- I want to learn more about investing and determine if I'm ready to start investing.
- I need help choosing my employer benefits - 401K, insurance, etc.
What SMMC representatives CAN'T Help With
SMMC representatives cannot do the following:
- Do financial tasks for you
- Make financial decisions for you
- Sell financial products or services during sessions
- Venture into money management education areas beyond the scope of the University of Nebraska Student Money Management Program
Personalized Advising Session Topics
|Note:||You can choose as many session topics as you wish.
We can cover all the information you need in one session.
|Money Management 101||Learn important money management information to help you jumpstart your financial success, including information on budgeting, financial goals, credit, credit scores, identity theft, saving, and investing||Request this Session||Session FAQ|
|Creating Your Personal
|Get your financial life on track by setting financial goals, creating a spending plan, and learning how to manage credit & debt||Request this Session||Session FAQ|
|Building Good Credit||Learn the keys to good credit management, including understanding your credit score||Request this Session||Session FAQ|
|Managing Debt &
Getting Out of Debt
|Learn how to successfully manage student loans, credit cards, and other types of debt, including creating a debt repayment plan||Request this Session||Session FAQ|
|Get in-depth help with organizing your finances - Get your financial life on track by setting financial goals, creating a spending plan, and learning how to manage credit & debt||Request this Session||Session FAQ|
|Making Good Financial Decisions||Learn what factors to consider before you make major financial purchases, including mortgages, loans, personal loans, and insurance||Request this Session||Session FAQ|
|How to Pay for College||Learn how to get & manage student loans, including creating a debt repayment plan, and the importance of balancing work and school||Request this Session||Session FAQ|
|Building Wealth||Learn the basics of saving & investing, including investment options, and identify if you are ready to start investing||Request this Session||Session FAQ|
|Preparing for Life After College||Prepare for life after graduation ? Learn important money management information to help you jumpstart your financial success||Request this Session||Session FAQ|
|In-Depth Personal Help:
Get Assistance Problem-Solving Specific Financial Problems
|Let us know what specific financial challenges you are encountering and we will help you find solutions to overcome your challenges, including helping you create an action plan for success||Request this Session||Session FAQ|