A student considering the B.A. with a Directing and Management Emphasis (DM) must complete the application information below (and on the next page). This application applies to both incoming freshman and transfer students and is used to evaluate a student’s suitability for the DM program.
Application Deadlines (postmark date)
Early Deadline – November 15, 2012
The early deadline offers students an admission decision by the end of January. Students receive full scholarship consideration from the Carson School.
Regular Deadline – February 1, 2013
This deadline offers students an admission decision by early April. Students receive full scholarship consideration from the Carson School.
UNL Student Deadline – April 1, 2013
This deadline is for current University of Nebraska-Lincoln students.
- You must first apply for admission to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL). Directing and Management (DM) applications will not be reviewed or considered until you have officially applied to UNL. For more information about admission to UNL, contact the UNL Office of Admissions at (402) 472-2023 or (800) 742-8800, or visit UNL on the web at http://admissions.unl.edu/.
- In an essay, describe the role of the director, theatre manager or stage manager in the production of a play, and explain what attracts you to working productions in one or more of these roles (typed, approximately 500 words).
- Write a paragraph or two about yourself and what your goals are in the theatre (typed).
- Submit a current résumé detailing creative experience, academics, employment, volunteering, special skills, etc. Also include two letters of recommendation. One letter must be from a high school or college instructor. Letters should be no longer than one page.
- If you have not yet submitted your ACT or SAT score and class rank to the UNL Office of Admissions, you will need to supply copies with your DM application. Incoming freshman must have an ACT score of 22, or an SAT score of 1020 or better (no exceptions).
- Submit your high school or transfer student transcripts (photocopies are okay). Transfer students must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 (no exceptions).
- Provide three examples of creative work (do NOT send us your originals). This work can be: scripts, creative writing, poetry, prompt books, artwork, photography, a video of something you've directed, etc. If you would like to have your creative work returned, send a self-addressed stamped mailing envelope along with your application materials.
- Students may also be contacted for an interview (or phone interview).
Questions should be directed to the Admissions Coordinator (402-472-2072, ext. 1 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Mail all application materials to:
DM Applications Committee
UNL Johnny Carson School of Theatre & Film
Room 215 Temple Building
12th & “R” Street
Lincoln, NE 68588-0201
The Carson School reserves the right to limit the number of students admitted into the program.
Note: An interview/evaluation will be scheduled with directing and management students after their third semester to determine whether they may continue in the program. (UNL Undergraduate Bulletin 2010-11)
Husker Weekday Visits, Red Letter Day visits, and tours can be arranged through the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Office of Admissions (472-2023 or 1-800-742-8800). Red Letter Day visits are senior Open Houses.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
January 15 - For full financial aid and scholarship consideration for the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL), you must apply to the UNL Office of Admissions by this date. For more information, contact the UNL Office of Admissions at (402) 472-2023 or (800) 742-8800, or visit UNL on the web at http://admissions.unl.edu/.