To: All University Faculty and Staff
From: Academic Planning Committee (APC)
Date: July 1, 2009
Subject: APC Procedures for Phase Three of the UNL Budget Reduction Process
As most are aware, Chancellor Perlman has recommended specific cuts to the UNL 2009-2010 budget to meet the goal of a 1.1% reduction in spending. The specific recommendations may be found on the UNL web site at: http://www.unl.edu/ucomm/chancllr/2009budget/.
The task of the Academic Planning Committee (APC) is to review the Chancellor's proposed cuts in light of their probable impact on the university's academic mission and approve them or suggest other ways of meeting the budget reduction goal. To accomplish this task, the APC welcomes information from all who may be affected by the proposed reductions. This is accomplished in two ways:
- In person during scheduled budget hearings (July 30th and September 18, 2009), and/or
- In writing submitted directly to the APC for consideration.
This document outlines the steps for those who wish to participate in this process.
To Present Testimony at a Scheduled Budget Hearing
Budget hearings are scheduled for July 30th and September 18th, 2009. The July session will focus primarily on the proposed administrative reductions while the September hearing will focus on those reductions impacting mainly UNL academics. However, this is not restrictive and those who wish to appear at the earlier meeting may do so.Written Notice of Intent to Appear
- The APC requests that, in order to coordinate the hearings schedule, all individuals wishing to respond to the proposals submit a written notice of intent to appear. This notice of intent is nonbinding and an individual or unit that expresses the intent to appear may later decline (Please note that one who does not submit such a notice of intent may still be heard at one of the hearings but will probably have very limited time compared to those who file a notice of intent).
The written notice of intent to appear must contain the date at which the party prefers to appear, the specific budget reduction(s) that will be discussed, the name of the presenter, and contact information for the presenter. The written notice may also include the written statement discussed below; this may materially affect the impact of the presentation. The notice of intent should be sent to the Academic Planning Committee, c/o Dr. William Nunez, APC Secretary, 332 Canfield Administration Building, 0435 or email@example.com by 3:00 p.m., July 20, 2009.
To Submit a Formal Written Response to Budget Reduction Proposals
Written responses to budget reduction proposals are also welcomed and can be quite insightful and helpful to APC members during the review. For written responses please:
- Include the reduction item that is being addressed.
- Include the name and phone number of the individual(s), department, or unit head submitting the response and the preferred hearing date (July 30th or September 18th, 2009). As stated, administrative items are planned for July and academic items in September.
- Keep written responses to no more than two pages.
- Refer to the "Criteria Section" of the Procedures to be Invoked for Significant Budget Reallocations and Reductions for guidance. This document is located at: http://www.unl.edu/apc/docs/Budget_Reduction_Procedures.pdf. Refer to sections indicating that reduction or elimination or reorganization is inadvisable.
Please direct written responses to the Academic Planning Committee, c/o Dr. William Nunez, APC Secretary, 332 Canfield Administration Building, 0435 or firstname.lastname@example.org by 3:00 p.m., July 20, 2009.
Upon evaluation of the initial written responses, APC may request further information in the form of expanded reports. Additionally, based on reduction proposals, written responses and expanded reports received, APC may invite representatives from affected departments or units to appear at a hearing of the APC to clarify issues that are raised by the written responses or expanded reports.
Please be aware that budget hearings are open and available to anyone. Open times will be designated at the end of the sessions for those wanting to make a statement who have not previously provided a notice of intent to appear. However, we encourage individuals to submit a notice of intent to ensure time is available.
Again, budget hearings are scheduled for July 30th and September 18th, 2009. The agenda and times will be announced on July 24th, 2009. Both sessions will be held in the Nebraska Union on City Campus and rooms will be posted under "Academic Planning Committee Budget Hearings."