University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Center for Biotechnology
E117 Beadle Center
Lincoln, NE 68588-0665
Phone - 402.472.5935 (Office), 5942 (Lab)
Fax - 402.472.3139
Research Projects (ongoing)
Advanced bioimaging technology: immunochemical confocal microscopy and live cell/tissue imaging.
- Genetic selection and characterization of mice with altered stress responsiveness. Study on role of genetic and environmental interactions in mechanism of neurodegeneration using animal models
Selected Recent Publications
1. Kehr S, Malinouski M, Finney L, Vogt S, Labunskyy VM, Kasaikina MV, Carlson BA, Zhou Y, Hatfield DL, Gladyshev VN. X-Ray Fluorescence Microscopy Reveals the Role of Selenium in Spermatogenesis. J Mol Biol 389 (5):808-18. 2009.
2. Peng H, Whitney N, Wu Y, Tian C, Dou H, Zhou Y, Zheng J. HIV-1-infected and/or immune-activated macrophage-secreted TNF-alpha affects human fetal cortical neural progenitor cell proliferation and differentiation. Glia. 56(8):903-16. 2008
3. Zhang, Y., Y. Zhou, U. Schweizer, N. E. Savaskan, D. Hua, J. Kipnis, D. L. Hatfield, V. N. Gladyshev. Comparative analysis of selenocysteine machinery and selenoprotein gene expression in mouse brain identifies key brain areas dependent on selenium. J. Biol. Chem.283: 2427-38. 2008
4. Zhou, Y., S. Zheng, W. Sprout, J. McDonald, M.K. Nielsen. Additional evidence showing an additive effect of glucocorticoid receptor polymorphisms on anxiety-type behavior, stress response and body weight in a population of mice with low heat loss background. FASEB J. 22:6-8. 2008
5. Saira K, Y. Zhou, C. Jones. The infected cell protein 0 encoded by bovine herpesvirus 1 (bICP0) induces degradation of interferon response factor 3 (IRF3), and consequently inhibits beta interferon promoter activity. J. Virol. 81(7):3077-86, 2007.
6. Dou, H., J. Morehead, C. J. Destache, J. Limoges, B. Ellison, J. D. Kingsley, L. Shlyakhtenko, Y. Zhou, M. Chaubal, J. Werling, J. Kipp, B. Rabinow, and H. E. Gendelman. Laboratory investigations for the morphologic, pharmacokinetic, and anti-retroviral properties of indinavir nanoparticles in human monocyte-derived macrophages. Virol. 358(1):148-58, 2007.
7. Kabil, O., Y. Zhou and R. Banerjee. Human cystathionine β-synthase is a target for sumoylation. Biochem. Nov 14; 45(45):13528-36, 2006.
8. Xu, D., A. Buehner, J. Xu, T. Lambert, C. Nekl, M.K. Nielsen, Y. Zhou . A polymorphic glucocorticoid receptor in a mouse population may explain inherited altered stress response and increased anxiety-type behaviors. FASEB J. Nov; 20 (13):2414-6, 2006.
9. LaRosa, P.C., J. Miner, Y. Xia, Y. Zhou, S. Kachman and M. E. Fromm. Trans-10, cis-12 conjugated linoleic acid causes inflammation and delipidation of white adipose tissue in mice: a microarray and histological analysis. Physiol. Genomics 27(3):282-94, 2006.
10. Das, S.C., D. Nayak, Y. Zhou, and A. K. Pattnaik. Visualization of intracellular transport of vesicular stomatitis virus nucleocapsids in living cells. J. Virol. 80: 6368-6377, 2006.
11. Perez, S. L. Lovato, J(Y). Zhou, A. Doster & C. Jones. Comparison of inflammatory infiltrates in trigeminal ganglia of cattle infected with wild type BHV-1 versus a virus strain containing a mutation in the LR (latency-related) gene. J Neurovirol, 12:392-397, 2006.
12. Chowdhury, S.I. Al-Mubarak, A., Y. Zhou. The Us9 gene of bovine herpesvirus 1 (BHV-1) effectively complements a Us9-null strain of BHV-5 for anterograde transport, neurovirulence, and neuroinvasiveness in a rabbit model. J. Virol. 80:4396-405, 2006.
University of Western Ontario, Canada
PhD, Cell Biology
May 2009-Present Professor (Research), Center for Biotechnology and Veterinary & Biomedical Sciences, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Associate Professor (Res.), Center for Biotechnology andDept. of Veterinary & Biomedical Sci. UNL
Res. Assistant Professor, Center for Biotechnology and Veterinary & BiomedicalSci. UNL
Instructor- Pennington Biomedical Research Center
Louisiana State University
Hospital for Sick Children
University of Toronto
Postdoctoral Fellow, Dept. of Anatomy and Cell Biology
University of Toronto
Graduate Assistant, Dept. of Zoology,
University of Western Ontario
Graduate Research Award of University of Western Ontario, 1989, 1990
Graduate Research Fellowship University of Western Ontario, 1990-91
Ontario (Provincial) Graduate Scholarships, 1989-91
Postdoctoral Fellowship of Medical Research Council of Canada, 1992-94
Research Fellowship of RP Eye Research Foundation of Canada, 1994-96