Frequently Asked Questions


1.       What costs are covered with my Buffett Scholarship? The table below indicates the maximum value of The Susan T. Buffett Scholarship per term (semester or quarter) at each public institution in Nebraska for the 2015-2016 academic year.  The scholarship can be used to cover expenses related to attending college (e.g. resident tuition and fees, housing, books).  The amount of your scholarship may be less than the maximum term awards listed below depending on your cost of attendance, enrollment status, or other funding.  Any unused portion of this award does not accrue and may not be applied to subsequent terms.


Maximum Term Awards for 2015-2016:



Full Time (12+hours)

Three-Quarter Time
(9-11 hours)

Half Time
(6-8 hours)

Quarter Time
(3-5 hours)


Less than Quarter Time
(1-2 hours)








All other community colleges







Nebraska State Colleges







University of Nebraska
















2.       How do I receive my scholarship funds?

Once you officially accept the scholarship, the Foundation informs the Financial Aid Office at your institution.   The scholarship will be disbursed by the Financial Aid Office at the beginning of each term (semester or quarter).  If you have questions about how the scholarship will be applied to your account, you will need to contact the Financial Aid Office at your institution.    


3.       When does my scholarship start?  How do I renew the scholarship each year? Your scholarship begins the fall term of your award year.  The scholarship will automatically renew each term for up to five years at a four-year college, or three years at a two-year college, as long as you continue to meet the scholarship requirements or until you graduate or obtain your bachelor’s degree, whichever comes first.


4.       What GPA is required to maintain my scholarship? You need to maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 each term.  Failure to meet this requirement results in a probationary period.  Two consecutive or three total terms of probation results in the loss of your scholarship.


5.       How many credit hours are required each term?

You must maintain at least 9 credits per term, earn at least one credit hour each term, and earn at least 18 credit hours or 27 quarter hours in each calendar year. Failure to meet these requirements will result in a probationary period. Two consecutive or three total terms of probation may result in the loss of the scholarship.

What if I add classes after my scholarship has been paid? The costs of these classes are your responsibility. If classes are added between the early registration period and the first week of classes for fall or spring, or the first day of summer session, scholarship funds will pay the additional tuition/fees up to the maximum scholarship amount.


7.       What happens if I drop classes? You must maintain at least 9 credits per term, earn at least one credit hour each term, and you must earn at least 18 credit hours or 27 quarter hours in each calendar year. Failure to meet these requirements will result in a probationary period. Two consecutive or three total terms of probation will result in the loss of your scholarship.


8.       Does my scholarship cover summer courses? 

Yes. The summer term is funded the same as the fall or spring terms, and students are funded based on the number of credits enrolled (see award chart).  NOTE: If you receive federal financial aid during the summer, it is your responsibility to contact the financial aid office regarding requirements and when funds will be disbursed to your student account.


9.       If I take summer courses, does it count as a term? 

The Foundation gives the summer term the same weight as any other term.  You are not required to take summer courses, and there is no minimum credit hour requirement; however if your cumulative GPA drops below 2.0, or you do not earn at least one credit hour, it will result in a probationary period.  


10.   Can I use my scholarship to Study Abroad or participate in an Exchange Program? Yes.  You need to complete and submit the Study Abroad/Exchange Program Request form available on our website: www.buffettscholarships.org/request-forms.   


You are eligible to receive scholarship funds for Study Abroad or Exchange programs provided:

  • You will earn credits toward graduation while abroad,
  • The program is approved by your primary institution,
  • Tuition and fees are paid directly to the primary institution,
  • You are not on probation at the end of the term immediately prior to going abroad, and
  • You completed a “Request to Study Abroad” form prior to the deadline and received approval from the Foundation to use funding for study abroad.  The deadlines to submit this form are as follows:
    • Fall term: August 1st
    • Spring term: December 1st
    • Summer term: April 1st


You must successfully complete two terms with at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA at your primary institution in order to study abroad or participate in an exchange program.  If you are making a request and have only completed one term, you will be required to submit additional information and your request will be reviewed on a case by case basis.  If you started your Study Abroad/Exchange term before the previous term’s grades were reported, and you earned a cumulative GPA less than 2.0, the Foundation is not responsible for funding the Study Abroad/Exchange term.  Any Learning Community requirements missed because of the Study Abroad/Exchange experience must be completed upon return.

11.   May I use my scholarship for CNA classes?

Yes.  The scholarship can be used for any undergraduate CNA class(es).

12.   I attend UNK, UNL, or UNO.  What is the William H. Thompson Scholars Learning Community (TSLC) and how can I find out more information?

The Thompson Scholars Learning Community (TSLC) is a program that all Susan T. Buffett Scholars attending UNK, UNL, and UNO are required to participate in.  TSLC is specifically designed to provide a supportive environment that encourages students to succeed during their college experience.  If you do not participate or comply with all TSLC requirements your scholarship will be terminated.

Call or click on the links below to find out more campus-specific information and requirements about the TSLC:

At UNK, contact 308-865-8364, or visit www.unk.edu/Thompson

At UNL, contact 402-472-1989, or visit www.unl.edu/wht  

At UNO, contact 402-554-4080, or visit www.unomaha.edu/Thompsonlc


13.   Can I transfer my scholarship to the University of Nebraska Medical Center?

Yes. Your scholarship will transfer to UNMC only for specific programs as long as you pursue a bachelor’s degree at UNMC (i.e., Nursing, Dental Hygiene, Clinical Laboratory Science, Radiation Science Technology).  Many UNMC programs are considered graduate or professional.  If you are pursuing a graduate or professional program at UNMC, you will not be eligible to receive Buffett scholarship funds. You also need to notify your campus of your intentions to transfer and you will need to cancel any obligations or commitments that you have made at the campus you are transferring from.


14.   May I transfer my scholarship to another Nebraska public institution?

Yes.  You may transfer your scholarship to any Nebraska public institution as long as you notify the Foundation (scholarships@stbfoundation.org) in advance, are still an undergraduate student, and meet the scholarship GPA requirements.  If you transfer from a community college to a four-year institution, two years will be added to your eligibility.  The list of institutions that you can transfer your scholarship to are as follows: 


Nebraska Community Colleges- Central, Metropolitan, Mid-Plains, Northeast, Southeast, or Western Nebraska

Nebraska State College System- Chadron State, Peru State, or Wayne State

University of Nebraska- NCTA, UNK, UNL, UNMC, or UNO


15.   May I use my scholarship for graduate coursework?

No. The scholarship is for undergraduate studies only.


16.   Can I use my scholarship at another Nebraska institution even if I am a student at a different campus?      Yes.  You are eligible to submit a request to receive scholarship funds at a secondary institution unless you are enrolled full-time at your primary institution.  A request for funding at a secondary institution is due two weeks prior to the beginning of the semester/quarter.  The Request for Funding from a Secondary Institution form can be found on our website: www.buffettscholarships.org/request-forms.


17.   Who should I contact if I have additional questions?

If you attend UNK, UNL, UNMC, or UNO please email questions to scholarships@nebraska.edu. Make sure to include your name, NU ID, and campus.


If you attend state or community colleges, please email scholarships@stbfoundation.org or call 402-943-1383.  Make sure to include your name and college.