Circle of Friends
Information and Resources!
- On-site support from a Circle of Friends Coach: Need help getting started with circle of friends? New Circle of Friends Coaches are availalbe to provide onsite, and/or video conference support. Click here to make a referral to the CoF Coach in your area.
- CoF Virtual Learning Community: For teaching ideas, lesson plans, and much more, click here to visit the Circle of Friends Virtual Learning Community!
How to Apply for the 2019-2020 Circle of Friends Grant
Please review all of the information below before applying for a $300 Circle of Friends grant. Grant applications are due August 15th, 2019.
Basic Grant Requirements for the 2019-2020 Circle of Friends Grant:
- Circle of Friends Program Outline: A paragraph or two describing what you plan to accomplish in the circle of friends group. Due: November 1st, 2019 Click here for some examples of a CoF Program Outline.
- A list of the planned meeting dates/topics for the 2019-2020 school year. Click here for a Sample Meeting and Activity Schedule. Due: November 1st, 2019
- One completed lesson plan. Click here for a Sample Lesson Plan. Click here for a Blank Lesson Plan Template. Due: November 1st, 2019
- Reimbursement Form Due at the end of the school year: Due May 31st, 2020
- In May of 2020 we will be requesting CoF Facilitator participation in an end of year survey.
- Share a CoF end of the year survey with focus student parent/caregiver
Before applying for a grant, please make sure that the CoF facilitator (and Co Facilitators) understand and agree to the following:
- Circle of Friends programs must be run in a group format
- Typically developing peers serve as mentors, and meet with the group on a regular, on going basis
- To qualify for a grant through the ASD Network, the CoF group must be specifically designed around the needs of an individual on the autism spectrum and include social skills instruction for the focus student
1st Year Facilitators
If you are applying as a first year program you will be required to watch the 2 part Introduction to Circle of Friends webinar series.
1st year Facilitators also need to participate in one of the following webinars for the 2019-2020 CoF grant). The webinar will be offered on two dates.
- May 31st, 1:00-2:00 pm CT. To register go to: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7DX3ZDK
- August 26th from 3:30-4:30 pm CT. To register go to: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/72G7F77
Recommended training for all CoF Facilitators (who haven't previously attended this training
Get Ready, Get Set, Plan! Planning Social Skills Instruction for Students with ASD: This training will be offered on May 30th, 2019 at ESU 3, and video streamed to ESU 10, and ESU 13. This training is a highly recommended training for 2nd year + CoF Facilitators who apply for the 2019-2020 CoF grant, and haven't previously attended. To register go to: https://iris.esu3.org/workshops/SectionDetails.aspx?SectionID=3227
Important Note: After the 2019-2020 grant year, the grant will only be available to new CoF sites. After submitting your online application, the CoF facilitator and building administrator will receive an email about your application status. If accepted, the email will include the following information that will need to be submitted prior to receiving the funds.
Please note that funding is available for 1 Circle of Friends site, per Level (Elementary, Middle School, Jr High, High School). Multiple CoF sites can be funded within a School District, but only 1 site per level.