The Chancellor hereby establishes the Chancellor’s Sustainability Commission (CSC) (previously named the Chancellor’s Commission on Environmental Sustainability) to provide strategic recommendations on the integration of sustainable practices across all major constituencies of the University of Nebraska–Lincoln (UNL). The CSC will work in close coordination with the UNL Sustainability Office. The Sustainability Coordinator will Chair the Commission.
- In accordance with the mission and core values of UNL, the Commission shall define UNL’s sustainability mission, goals and priorities.
- The CSC will advise Senior University Leadership on different areas of sustainability affairs as requested.
- Devise comprehensive and practical approaches to advance sustainable practices across the university among and within campus departments, both operational and academic.
- Promote a culture of sustainability and sustainable thinking among community members.
- Assess ways to reduce environmental impacts of the campus in a manner which incorporates sound business practices. Develop a five to ten year Sustainability Plan to reduce the University’s carbon footprint based upon current benchmarks. The plan should develop priorities for implementation of recommendations.
- Enhance the campus' ability to gather, track, and analyze environmental performance data and related information and develop report documents. The US EPA and Sustainability Tracking, Assessment and Rating System (STARS) as devised by the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) will serve as the guideline for such reporting.
- Assist the university in obtaining a range of external funding to support UNL’s future sustainability efforts.
- Serve as evidence to prospective students and donors alike that UNL is committed both to furthering students’ awareness of sustainability as a contemporary social challenge and to doing its part to help create a sustainable future for UNL and its related communities.
- Define areas to be studied by the Working Groups. Each member of the CSC will be a member of at least one Working Group based on his/her area of interest/expertise/area of work. The membership of the group will be determined by the Chair in consultation with other relevant campus entities and stakeholders. Each working group will be assigned one or more Sustainability Student Interns to facilitate research and implementation.
- The CSC will prioritize, assist, and coordinate efforts to fulfill different goals as highlighted in the Sustainability Plan. The members will also review progress of these goals and provide timely feedbacks to ensure UNL’s progress in Sustainability affairs.
- The CSC will publish annual Sustainability Report to the campus community.
The Commission may develop and appoint Working Groups. The purpose of the Working Groups is to identify resources needed to fulfill the goals outlined by the Sustainability Plan, develop a timeline and coordinate efforts to get the task accomplished. The Commission Chair will work with the CSC members in finding representatives for each Working Group from the campus community. The Working Group members will be experts in the respective field. Each working group will be assigned up to two (2) undergraduate students to conduct the necessary research and perform the task. Each working group will present their proposal, timeline and progress during the CSC meetings.
The Commission and any Working Groups shall meet based on need. The Chairperson is responsible for calling Commission meetings, preparing the agenda, and presiding at meetings.
Membership and Terms
The Sustainability Coordinator will serve as the Chairperson of the Commission. Members of the Commission will be appointed by the Chancellor and, with the exception of the student members, shall serve two-year staggered terms renewable at the Chancellor's discretion. Initial members may be appointed for one or two years to allow for staggered terms. Student members are appointed for one year.
The Commission shall consist of the following members:
- Sustainability Coordinator (1) (Chair)
- Office of the Chancellor (1)
- Business and Finance (1)
- Facilities Maintenance & Operations and Facilities Planning & Construction (2)
- Institutional Research & Planning (1)
- Student Affairs (1)
- Center for Civic Engagement (1)
- Faculty (TBD with consultation from Faculty Senate Executive Committee)
- Undergraduate Student (1) –One year term
- Graduate Student (1) – One year term
- University Athletics (1)
- University Housing (1)
- Recycling Coordinator (1)
- City of Lincoln (1)