This page includes instructions for uploading and attaching a file to an announcement, assignment, discussion board, message page, quiz, or other piece of content in Canvas.
Attaching Files to Assignments and Pages
For more information, refer to the official Canvas guide "How do I create a file link in a page in a courses?"
- Create a new assignment or page, or open and edit an existing one.
- On the right side of the page (or at the very bottom, depending on your screen width), you will see a content area with three tabs: "Links," "Files," and "Images." Click on the "Files" tab.
- To upload a file, click the "+ Upload a new file" link. (If you have already uploaded the file to your course files, you can find it by clicking through the "course files" icons.)
- Click the white "Choose file" button. This will open a Finder/Explorer window.
- Navigate to the file on your computer and select it.
- Once you have selected a file and clicked OK to return to the browser window, you should see the file name displayed next to the "Choose File" button.
- Click the grey "Upload" button that appears. You can choose a folder from your course files in the dropdown menu, if desired.
- You should now see red text in the Rich Text Editor that links to your file.
- Save (and publish) the page.