Using the Inbox in Canvas, you can email individual students or all students in a course like you could in Blackboard.
Emailing all students in a course
- In the Global Navigation (the dark grey sidebar), click the Inbox link.
- Click the Compose icon in the light gray menu at the top of the screen. The Compose icon looks like a quill pen.
If your browser is narrow, the Compose icon will be located in the second row of the menu:
- In the Course drop-down menu, select the course to which you want to send the email.
- Click the Address Book icon to the right of the To: field. (Read more about address book options)
- To send a message to all students, click "Students," then click "All in Students."
Note: If this course is not yet published, you will see "People: 0" next to "All in Students." You will not be able to email the students in this course until you publish the course site on Canvas.
- Enter a subject and type your message in the message field.
- If you do not want everyone to see all recipients and replies in the message, check the box labeled "Send an individual message to each recipient." If your message is addressed to more than 100 people, this box will be automatically checked.
- If you want to attach a file to your message, click the paperclip button in the bottom left corner and select a file from your computer.
- Click the red "Send" button when you are finished.
By default, the Inbox page shows you all the messages you have received for all your courses.
You can filter messages by course by clicking the "All Courses" drop down menu and selecting a course.
You can view sent, archived, or unread messages alone by clicking on the next drop down menu, which usually says "Inbox," and selecting a different type of message.
Using the Address Book, you can send emails to
- All students
- Individual students
- Student groups
- Individual student groups
- All sections
- Individual sections
- Observers & other roles as assigned