Preparing to use technology in the classroom
1. Choose a device to bring with you
This could be a laptop, tablet, smartphone, portable document camera, etc. The Department of English has laptops and other equipment available for its instructors to check out for daily use in the classroom. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or use our online form to reserve one ahead of time. At least one day of advance notice is recommended.
2. Identify the display port(s) your device has
Every classroom comes equipped with an HDMI cable (Figure I) and an Thunderbolt/MiniDisplayPort adaptor (Figure II). These two connection types can be found on a growing number of devices as the industry moves toward HDMI connections. If you're not sure what kind of display port your device has, consult the Display Ports & Cables Guide.
3. Connect your device to the projector
If the image projected does not match the one on the screen, or you get a blank blue or black screen, follow the relevant troubleshooting steps below.
If you encounter a problem in your classroom, contact us right away in person, by email, or by phone. We are located on the first floor of Andrews near the east doors, and we're here to help!
Here are some fixes to common problems that are easy to address.
No picture / Blue screen / Black screen
- Make sure both your device and the projector are on and awake
- If the screen is black, press "AV Mute" on the projector remote to make sure it's not muted
- If the screen is blue with white text along the bottom, make sure all cables are connected securely between your device and the projector
- If problem persists after checking these settings, contact email@example.com.
Desktop wallpaper shows up, but no windows or taskbars appear
You may have 'Extended' selected instead of 'Mirrored.' Check your display settings:
When connected to the projector, the volume controls on your device may be disabled (e.g. in Mac OS X). Instead, the volume is controlled using the projector remote.
If the projector volume is unmuted and set at a comfortable level, but you still have no sound, check your sound settings: