Where can I get help figuring out my major?

At the English Undergraduate Advising Center in room 201 Andrews Hall. You can also call 472-3870 or visit: advising

Where can I get help with writing?

The Writing Assistance Center (https://www.unl.edu/writing) assists any UNL student engaged in a writing project by providing hands-on techniques that enable the student writer to say what he or she means.

Will I have opportunities for creative writing and publication?

Laurus is the undergraduate literary magazine published each year through the English Department. Student editors select materials submitted by student writers and supervise the details of publication. Prairie Schooner, one of the oldest and most distinguished literary magazines in the world, is edited and published by the English Department and offers editorial reader positions for undergraduate creative writers of exceptional talent. Each spring the English department sponsors a number of literary contests -- with Arts and Sciences prizes! -- open to all English majors.

Are there any English clubs or honoraries?

There are several Recognized Student Organizations in the English Department. Most are open to all majors and minors. Additional information can be found at https://involved.unl.edu/student-organizations.

What is the English Department like?

English is one of the original divisions of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and has been offering classes continuously since 1869. Virtually every UNL student takes at least one class in the English Department. There are approximately 450 English majors in the College of Arts and Sciences. Teaching staff includes more than 100 graduate student or part-time instructors and approximately 50 full-time professors, all of whom hold Ph.D.s or equivalent credentials and publish books and internationally-recognized journal articles each year.

Can I use Independent Studies and Internships in my major?

Students may create their own classes to read extensively in a particular English field, to do extended research, to undertake a sustained creative project, or to explore experiential education relevant to English studies. All one needs is a good idea and a faculty sponsor.

Do I have the option of writing an Undergraduate Thesis?

English majors in the Honors program are required to write a thesis, while students who have compiled a GPA higher than 3.5 have this option. The thesis gives students opportunities to develop sustained research or creative projects that cap off their undergraduate careers.

Can I get paid for doing research?

UCARE (Undergraduate Creative Activities and Research Experience program) pays undergraduates to work alongside faculty members and participate directly in campus research and creative activities. Many English majors have used UCARE research for their senior theses.

What kind of career can I pursue with an English degree?

After graduation, English majors regularly enter graduate or professional schools or begin careers in writing, editing, journalism, political action, government, or the entertainment industry.

What is the difference between the minor and the concentration?

The English major (like some other majors in the College of Arts &  Sciences) requires that students complete an approved minor or a second major. Students may select their minor or second major from the list of university-approved programs in the undergraduate bulletin. The minor is indicated on a student’s transcript and the degree audit under its official title.

English majors are also required to complete a concentration or twelve credit hours (4 courses) at the 300 and/or 400 level with a maximum of 6 hours in creative writing. The twelve credit hours that students designate for the concentration may not apply in other areas in the English major. Students may select their concentration using our department concentration guidelines (available online under our “Current Student” tab) or in consultation with our department chief major advisor. While students may track their concentration using the Degree Audit (DARS) resource, the concentration is not indicated on the final transcript nor is it a “university-recognized” program. Rather, the concentration is a department requirement.